Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
October 1st

Steal the Chopper (day/night)
I have no idea how to approach this mission. Any ideas?

Death Toll Road
This was maybe the fifth time we tried this. All previous attempts failed miserably when we attacked the AA nest. This time we managed to lure them out by a feint attack and ambush them. Then, we moved in and mopped up the remaining sentries in their camp. That was a great mission, and both parts of it were completed flawlessly. I especially loved the extraction chopper lighting up that Vodnik that probably was the AA camp's QRF.

Paratank
Another wonderful mission! Some great maneuvering which I enjoyed. Any comments on the ambush attempts? Didn't work quite well, but I'm glad we managed to keep our pants on and not engage prematurely. I think that letting them pass and attack them from behind when they reached the town proved itself.
One comment though - We all need to respond to any command issued by the leader. Issuing orders and not hearing replies is very disheartening. This is especially crucial when communicating between separate team. If you notice that your leader has responded to a command net transmission in your local channel - help him and let him know about that. Personally, when leading, I would also like responses even for orders issues to all members in the team. It's just reassuring when you hear the responses and you are sure everybody understands you.

This is how you reply to orders:
Leader - "Osku, move to that rock"
Osku - "Moving to the rock"
This way you know that not only your order was heard, but also understood.

Lost Squad
We need more thought on this challenge. I was yielding the disabled T-72 gun and tried to stop the enemy tank platoon (3 or 4 tanks) that crested over the hill to the south-west. I think I'm only able to disable 2 of them before they spot me and blow me up. Any suggestions regarding that challenge and the challenge of facing the attacking infantry? Please no comments on how accurate they are, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

Severnoj Fireworks
Movement to the objective was better than our first attempt. We managed to spot the Spetsnaz team before anyone spotted us. However, we got flanked and our unit was covered by an elevated position ("The Rock" anyone?). How do you guys suggest we approach this next time?
Steal the chopper:

NACs only have smgs and such since the last update. From my last testing with viktor and misha, we wiped out almost all of them (they were deadlier before when I didn't remove their rifles)
Apologies for telling where the enemy was on Paratank, I really hate 'last guy hiding' syndrome, especially on my own mission.

Severnoj went well til you sent Misha uphill, then they swarmed us coming from the objective. I think we should try commandeering that AGS on the road then using it to spam the objective from north side.

(10-03-2013, 05:41 PM)Phantom link Wrote:Steal the chopper:

NACs only have smgs and such since the last update. From my last testing with viktor and misha, we wiped out almost all of them (they were deadlier before when I didn't remove their rifles)

Doesn't make a difference when they shoot you in the face, as I experienced on both attempts.

Well, it was easier with fog enable which was what was enabled when I was testing it. The NACs had a hard time identifying who's a target and who's not during that testing.
3rd October Arma3

Loved playing Arma3  Smile

1st Mission - well i think we all wondered wth was going on there..and tbh for a moment i'm like whoa lets get back to Arma2 -Fps was crap that ive never had before!!

Tanks or Tank  ;D - I actually enjoyed that, different for me to roll around as a tank platoon.(drunk driver) nice comms from Varanon for me and Alex.

Convoy great mission Varanon -easy? maybe? but to me does'nt have to be challenging, just enjoyable which it was-Thanks!
I'm quite happy 'just' driving along to be part of it so to speak.

3rd October

Tanks - I really enjoyed this one also, probably since you don't get a chance to drive in a tank often in coop missions, so it was nice for a change.
Claw and Varanon seemed very well coordinated, so it made gunning for me pretty easy.
The only thing that was weird is that the mission finished after the boat was destroyed, I hope that's not really a requirement for completing the task, since chasing boats with a tank is a bit silly Big Grin

Convoy - Seemed good to me, I see how it could've looked easy from the truck driver perspective (i was one of them), since the guys in the front kept us safe, but I heard a lot of shooting, so I guess there wasn't a shortage of bad guys.
Mission could have gone either way I guess, especially since a single grenade
can easily blow up a truck in this game, or if you roll it over on a side sometimes (not kidding), also that rpg in the beginning almost screwed us over, so good call on keeping us far behind, whoever was the guy in charge (can't recognize the voices yet).

The only thing that was missing in the mission was acre, so guys in the back could've gone on the separate channel, and joke around like real truckers, while you guys struggle to survive Big Grin
Yeah, rocky start to ArmA 3, but I think everyone expected that.  I definitely look forward to trying more, though.

That convoy mission showed off some great lighting effects, even if there wasn't a whole lot of opposition.
(10-03-2013, 08:00 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Apologies for telling where the enemy was on Paratank, I really hate 'last guy hiding' syndrome, especially on my own mission.
Didn't I send you to take the last guy out anyway?

(10-03-2013, 08:00 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Severnoj went well til you sent Misha uphill, then they swarmed us coming from the objective. I think we should try commandeering that AGS on the road then using it to spam the objective from north side.
We can try that, however, it seems like th northern entrance was heavily guarded.

(10-04-2013, 12:40 AM)MavericK link Wrote:Yeah, rocky start to ArmA 3, but I think everyone expected that.  I definitely look forward to trying more, though.

That convoy mission showed off some great lighting effects, even if there wasn't a whole lot of opposition.
That. And yep, I enjoyed the convoy mission. Sorry for falling asleep Smile
About "Valley of Fear", I will increase the number of rounds for the mortars and maybe add a third cannon to it, and I might throw in an optional smoke barrage which might be something useful as well.

I do think we should try to stay lower in the valley, maybe we won't get so many barrels pointing at us then. In general, I feel that the mission is doable, it's just pretty hard, but I can still reduce the number of enemies if anyone feels there are too many...?
I think it's doable, just in that terrain it is difficult to see enemies and they come from all over the place.  I thought it was a lot of fun, though!

One suggestion might be a dedicated sniper team, since it seems we begin like 700-800m from most enemies.  Might help to take out the gunner of the BTR and some other choice targets with a little more precision than just artillery fire.
(10-09-2013, 08:25 PM)MavericK link Wrote:I think it's doable, just in that terrain it is difficult to see enemies and they come from all over the place.  I thought it was a lot of fun, though!

Good to hear Smile

Quote:One suggestion might be a dedicated sniper team, since it seems we begin like 700-800m from most enemies.  Might help to take out the gunner of the BTR and some other choice targets with a little more precision than just artillery fire.

I might add an optional M107 so that the marksman or someone else can grab it. That might even work against the BRDM.
"Valley of Fear"

Me,Lefty and fap were Bravo covering up on the hill-safe to say it didn't go well after the ND *wonders who that was*  Wink Wink Wink

2nd time round, went better.

Fap was KIA, Lefty was down from enemy fire from down in the valley.
He crawled out of harms way and i patched him up, only for him to again get capped when he tried to locate the enemy.
As i was reviving him again-Bang!! i get capped in the back!! and all of Bravo is down!

As i said on comms in Bravo channel:- "this game never ceases to amaze me"
The sneaky little bastards that took out Lefty the 1st time had only came up around the hill and flanked us!
Alpha requested that Bravo crawl outta harms way to be patched up by Alpha but, we bled out and died some 5 minutes later.

Wood Stocks
Russians with a BMP try to lure out forest patrols. Damn tough one. We need to find a better place to position ourselves, with more distance from the enemy and with less flank sensitivity. Next one someone else leads! Smile

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]W[/color]arcry
The CWR classic. Mechanized unit raid with a Bradley and a sniper team. Loved that mission, too bad I didn't spot that BMP that shoved a Sagger up my Bradley side. No comments on this one, solid leading by Misha.

Gaidar's Babushka
Rescue the AI's granny from the Americans. It seemed like an easy mission, but it's not. We tried it about six time before Sunday and always failed. What made us crush them was that we pinned them down from two directions. Most of the Americans I saw faced the other way, towards the team that advanced from the south. My team was able to shoot them on their left cheeks! This just proves how flanking is essential.

D[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]ebit Column[/color]
Ambush a Soviet convoy and attack their base. Great leading Alwarren. It seems to me that your decisions made the mission look easy, but if, for example, we wouldn't have cleared that hill and went down into the base, we would've get flanked.

F[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]ortless[/color]
Russian recon unit the castle for intelligence. raiding for Nice first shot on leading Fap! The intention to lure the enemy into the clearing north of the castle was a good one. For next time I suggest to place the two teams with overlapping covering sectors, so they can support each other. With luck, the silenced team will be hard to spot. I think we also need to position ourselves position. Getting set right on the highest point of a spur allows the enemy to flank from the low grounds without being seen.

Flyboy
Now that we are familiar with this crazy mission let's try to do coordinated bombings on selected objectives. We spread too thin on the first attempt. How did the second attempt go? Didn't play it.

Valley of Fear
I love that mission. MOAR rounds!!! Big Grin It will make the mission much more fun and will not turn it too easy. It's hard to hit with fire missions moving targets, and we get hit from units we don't see anyway on this one...
I think we need to consider doing a wide flank, we have too wide sectors to cover on the front approach.Alwarren, not to start a mission design discussion, I suggest maybe even one thermal optic.

Pirog - Race
Cool mission. Yellow team had some nice engagement with Lefty as sniper and Llauma as PKP gunner. I hope it was nice for the main assault team as well. Didn't expect the mission to end that quick.

Red Storm
Russians attack a town with two BMPs and a wing of Hinds that et shot down too quick. VERY nice CQB there with the CDF. I liked how they moved, it almost felt like playing against humans! They took cover and tried to flank and gave us a very hard time.
(10-10-2013, 09:25 AM)Variable link Wrote:Valley of Fear
I love that mission. MOAR rounds!!! Big Grin It will make the mission much more fun and will not turn it too easy. It's hard to hit with fire missions moving targets, and we get hit from units we don't see anyway on this one...
I think we need to consider doing a wide flank, we have too wide sectors to cover on the front approach.Alwarren, not to start a mission design discussion, I suggest maybe even one thermal optic.

I think one of the main problems we always have when trying that mission is that we're presenting too much of us as targets... the hills don't rightfully work, we need to stay in the valleys with maybe a spotter team up high that won't engage at all except use mortar strikes...
Wood Stocks - I'd try an approach from the west or even north. The Black Forest area is actually a giant basin, so any approach sits on high ground really.

Fortless - we got spotted without knowing and had an enemy squad run into us and lose Variable. Fap's last stand would've worked well if enough of us survived, but 6 versus several squads that can aim well (I got headshotted) and in a  forest and on a hill... we need another approach and we need to move way more cautiously. On the other hand we could turn the 'easy to spot' thing to our advantage by baiting them then setting up way further that the bottom of the hill.

Flyboy - went better on second try. Counter-intuitive to the mission, it goes better with a ground team doing the work IMO, taking care of the AA at least.

There is a 'settings' on the action menu where you can set the view distance for yourself (max. 5000m) and it does override the server. 5km is much better for lazing and spotting than 1600m.

There is an ammocrate with every weapon in ArmA2 at start(reminds me of those Utes coop campaign missions, is that some ammo crate filler script?), on the second try I took a MAAWS with 3 rockets and took out the Shilka on foot.

My plan to beating it would be so:
-5 people, everyone sets their VD in-mission to max

-1 guy in the Su-25, going solo at the objectives without AA (supply base at Chaman, the SCUD convoy at Khushab and artillery NE of Sakhe), though I think the convoy might pack a ZU23.

-2 people in Apache (I'm certain Hellfires lock onto lazes, must verify at start)

-2 people in Littlebird packing AT, a sniper rifle and laser designator.

The Littlebird team takes out the Shilka at Coltan mine on foot (1 guy shoots, 1 stays in the LB to prevent it from respawning), then the ZU-23 at the Repair shop (Anar). After that, laze for Apache/Apache strafes the rest at those two objectives.

Apache the goes for the Spec ops at Garmsar while LB repositions east of Anar to find the tanks south-east of Anar. Laze and/or let apache/Su-25 handle them.

If we get too close to Loy Manara, two L-39s will take off and patrol the area between the mountain passes. Su-25's AA missiles can take care of that.

LB team then deploys on the mountain range north of Sultansafe and recons the last two objectives at Chak Chak and Loy Manara (heavy AA IIRC). Laze for Apache, have Apache stay as far way as possible.

Valley of Fear - I agree on more mortar rounds, but I don't think we need M107 and we already have a thermal weapon (M249 TWS). I'd try an approach from the south. All their defenses face east, so we hit them in the flank - or at least avoid the SPG and PK nests tearing us up.