Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks good Varanon, but what's the impact on server performance?
One way to find out Smile
(10-13-2014, 05:56 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Maybe install this addon on the server ?

Demo of the thing in action

I saw that a while ago and thought it looked really cool but thought it might be a lot of work to setup, so I didn't suggest it. If it's not too complicated though, it would be great to have.
Both Recovery and Canidae Cull were awesome missions.

Recovery, as the team being rescued, was a lot of fun (at least, as the Marksman) with holding off the enemy forces coming from all sides and constantly being under fire.  Too bad the helicopter gently touched an object and the engine died (how silly ArmA physics are...).  Can't blame the pilot for that at all.

Canidae Cull was great, and on Variable's team it felt like we executed it flawlessly.  I wish I could have stayed longer afterwards, but with us having to go check on Charlie and complete that part of the mission as well, the mission ran quite a bit longer than I think was originally intended.  Still, a whole lot of fun.

I agree that Core Advance, while it seemed like a good mission, was a bit of a clusterfuck.  The vast majority of the time I was not receiving orders from any commanding officers and was left to just try to keep myself safe (as the only medic), which is fine except it seemed as though people were needing help and I wasn't getting the direction I needed in order to help them.

Also, the fire bug was utterly atrocious for whatever reason.  I slumped over bleeding instantly about 50-75m from the burning wreckage.
I think the fire murder us harder than the enemies themselves.

I think its safer to keep the tank and APC in the back to provide cover fire and go in between the buildings and such like how outlawz and I did after everyone was pretty much dead. It might be easier to avoid AT shots or mines in that matter (you'll find mines off the road too so its pretty dangerous). I think the infantry can move up and clear the mines along the road for the tank to push forward. I guess since alwarren does have a problem with infantry using vehicles, maybe we can fix up a few and have the crewmen man a tank instead of an APC instead in case the vehicle runs out of ammo. Basically, sweeping mines and pushing forward slowly. (infantries in the front to scout out, vehicles provide covering fire while staying behind buildings or something to avoid being shot from the sides by AT).
For reference, I do not think that the mission itself sucks, quite the contrary. It was our execution that sucked. Big time.

(10-14-2014, 06:51 AM)Phantom link Wrote:I think its safer to keep the tank and APC in the back to provide cover fire and go in between the buildings and such like how outlawz and I did after everyone was pretty much dead. It might be easier to avoid AT shots or mines in that matter (you'll find mines off the road too so its pretty dangerous). I think the infantry can move up and clear the mines along the road for the tank to push forward. I guess since alwarren does have a problem with infantry using vehicles, maybe we can fix up a few and have the crewmen man a tank instead of an APC instead in case the vehicle runs out of ammo. Basically, sweeping mines and pushing forward slowly. (infantries in the front to scout out, vehicles provide covering fire while staying behind buildings or something to avoid being shot from the sides by AT).

I disagree. IFV are there to fight alongside the infantry. The problem was positioning. The APC's were standing in the middle of the road, with no cover whatsoever. Every mofu with a missile launcher could reach them. As I said, I attribute this failure to the fact that they were understaffed, a full crew or at least driver and gunner/commander-seat-switcher is needed for this. Otherwise we could go on foot directly, which is out of question for such a distance.

Add to that the complete failure in communication. Maverick says himself he was completely without guidance, which is something that MUST not happen. No idea who his team leader was, but if the team leader doesn't use his assets correctly, this is what happens. In a situation like this, it does require a lot of concentration and multi-tasking.

The mission commander, I think, should be in an extra, small team, maybe just him and the squad's medic, so that he doesn't need to micro-manage his own fire team on top of it.

But as I said in my original post, IMO the biggest issue of this mission was our failure at communication, plus the failure to properly distribute the communication, which lead to situations like Maverick not knowing what to do/where to go. Idle assets are no assets, especially since the medic was sorely needed.

Don't get me wrong, whoever was Maverick's TL, I am not blaming anyone here more than I blame myself. This is not about saying "It was your fault". I am just trying to find out, in retrospect, what exactly went so wrong.

Umm... that's my fault :o I was Maverick's team leader, I was busy taking (I forgot who was engineer) to the downed tank and decided to split the team.
(10-14-2014, 04:55 PM)Phantom link Wrote:Umm... that's my fault :o I was Maverick's team leader, I was busy taking (I forgot who was engineer) to the downed tank and decided to split the team.

Not wanting to blame you, really. I completely neglected my own team as well. As I said, it was all a big clusterfuck, and the breakdown of communication was almost unavoidable. We should definitely try splitting up comms like I described next time.
(10-15-2014, 01:02 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Not wanting to blame you, really. I completely neglected my own team as well. As I said, it was all a big clusterfuck, and the breakdown of communication was almost unavoidable. We should definitely try splitting up comms like I described next time.

I was just reading the TFAR page and it says "It is possible to setup different stereo modes for active and additional channels". So there's actually no need to use both radios to have different teams on different ears, as I thought when I made my previous post.
not my best night so far xD

Core Advance

Disabled one of our own APC's when I thought we were being hit (we hit a mine) and shot the first vehicle I saw without checking the direction  :-\

Recovery

I forgot to order the AI into the chopper so I only had one door gunner.
Since we weren't expecting to be shot at we could have waited a little until the squad we dropped off was into the woods, might have been able to give them some covering fire.
I'm still not sure what happened when I tried to land on the tower (I tried again yesterday and it worked out well enough, I guess I should get me everything I need for freetrack which would have been a great help), either I pressed the rudder without noticing or took damage to the tailrotor, either way I started rotating when close to the tower and decided to gain some height to not crash into the squad on the tower. when I had the rotation under control I descended again, this time crashing into the tower destroying the chopper.

Canidae Cull

unfortunately we were detected pretty soon and underestimated the number of enemy's. I was killed after our first brief engagement and my team was killed after they had the opposition down to about 3-5 guys. it was a nice mission though

Quote:That palm pad script could have been great for this kind of mission if it can display feeds from other teams.

I think I remember helmet cameras and a handheld display for them in the Bundeswehr mod

I also managed to destroy my draft for the Thursday night debrief
(10-13-2014, 05:56 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Maybe install this addon on the server ?

Demo of the thing in action

that addon looks great, sure would be a great held for AAR, most if the time I don't find the time to write it down the next day or the day after that (i try to scribble some notes while playing but that doesn't always work ^^). and get the feeling I have forgotten too much to write a good report afterwards (which just adds to me not being much of a writer).

speaking of addons (sry probably wrong thread here) is there a way to bind the TFAR keys to joystick keys ?  having flown choppers the last two coop nights I noticed that controlling the chopper and grabbing for the right keys of my keyboard is even harder than I thought (maybe would be easier if I wasn't used to play with the cyclic near constantly ^^)
I'll look into that debriefing module.
Regarding TFAR - I think the new version should allow binding joystick keys so you might want to check that. Now you configure the keys for it in-game.

And nice post unnamed! That was a good read.
Oil protection services

Nice mission for warm-up, too bad i didn't have time to enjoy it with a battalion of vehicles spawned on top
of us Smile

Please comment here
http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-release.../#msg26628

Big C
Sweet and pretty easy, not too challenging, good for warm up and team coordination practice as well.

Revolucion

Good mission, the only thing i'd change is the weather, felt too clean, and the enemy placement, that ifrit banging the white hangar didn't look good but that's AI driving Smile
I liked the town cleaning part, was pretty tense since we had friendlies involved as well, good thing was easy to tell who is who by uniform Smile
I also liked the part when we run out of rockets and we tried to find alternative, would've been nice to take out the last AA with explosives  8)  but the dam thing was "too aware" Smile
Too bad i was already too tired to enjoy it properly.

Please rate the mission if you didn't already:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=216539600
and here
http://game-comics.com/revolucion/
Oil Protection Services

What can I say: Defense mission, so little leading required, which was good, because I didn't hear the radio most of the time over the noise of the helicopters and the gunfire... a good example that showed me how lost I sometimes am when leading... when it gets too frustrating (in this case since I didn't hear half of it), I just want to disconnect... blergh.. I'm not a leader type, that's for sure...

Blood Runner

Well, the problem of shooting at a tank with an RPG-42 is that when you hit, the tank is angry, and knows where you are... 'nuff said.

Unfortunately, I was dead early on (and the afterlife channel quickly filled after that).

I think 4 tanks are too much, they need multiple hits from the RPGs to be destroyed, and with the poor visibility, that's hard to pull off...

The big C

First of all, salute to Mark Randel who the mission was dedicated to. Rest in Peace, man

The mission was good, solid leading on Outlawz's behalf. It was good to be back on Zargabad, I always loved that map and found it was too rarely used.

Revolucioni

I liked the mission, especially at the beginning, although I thought we were too well equipped for guerrillas. Scopes, GPS, etc... And of course, putting 14 people into one group is something that should really, really be avoided...

The attack on the town was good, solid leading by Variable (expected no less from him  Tongue ). I liked taking that first shot on the Ifrit, I just love using that RPG-42, it's better than the point-and-click Titan and NLAW. Aiming, pulling the trigger and then noticing that the Ifrit started moving (a little shock, really, hehe) but then seeing that the missile would hit anyway, it's just so much better than those other launchers. Unguided launchers FTW (in the game, of course Wink )

Too bad I missed the second shot, it was just a little bit too high, the missile must have scraped the paint off the Ifrit's turret... 520 m, so I was aiming with the 500 meter marker and raised it a bit, but of course, on 500 meter shots, raising just a little bit already prolongs the shot substantially...

Luckily, CyDoN's shot hit. I love blowing stuff up Big Grin

Unfortunately, the mission ended for me with the AAA... I was high up the slope and suddenly saw the vehicle, so I took out my Titan, aimed and... got shot... grrr...

There was a bit of the usual confusion with the demise of the leader, and the two teams speaking all in the same channel was a bit confusing in itself, but overall, I enjoyed that mission...

Overall, good games last night, a bit of a rough start with the TFAR confusion, and always a rough start with me leading (which I really shouldn't do, it seems), but quite OK later on.

And always remember:
NEVER! EVER! check the scoreboard! There is no scores in CiA! Only the mission!
Oil Protection Service

The choppers started out pointing north, which was a bit weird and was also one of the reasons the first attempt failed (Choppers crashed).
Sniper didn't have a scope. and very little ammo. We died when we literally got rolled over by ten tecnicals appearing out of nowhere, all coming in from the same (our) direction.

Blood Runner

I was the medic. Doing that was difficult, because I never knew where people went down and nobody relayed that information to me. I think it was a mistake to let the tanks get so close, and since they clustered on the southern side of the base, it was almost impossible to take them out without getting shot into spaghetti.

Is it just me, or are the RPG-7's ridiculously overpowered? They were normal warheads, not tandems, and they shouldn't be able to take out tanks just like that.

The Big C

I think Doveman overshot the target, because we started with the rear compound and worked out way to the first Big Grin As he said during the game, most of these were just a bit of rubble in the grass, so hard to recognize as actual compounds.

Discipline in my team was awful. Most of the time, we were supposed to be in a wedge formation but the formation we had was clusterfuck formation. I nearly shot Setup several times because he kept crossing my line of fire, and I was damn close to shooting CyDoN because he appeared all of a sudden on the opposite site of the compound. This was a no-go. If I had been the team leader, I would have court-martial ed all of us.

To re-iterate, absolutely no-go is:
- breaking out of formation for no reason. Stay in formation, then you won't cross anyone's line of fire and not end up with a bullet in the back of your head.
- Moving away from the group without order.
- Overtaking the team leader. Pay a bit of attention to the team leader and the rest of your group, be aware were they are.

Revolution

Pretty intense mission, I liked it a lot. A few things on my team were done wrong, and there was some miscommunication going on as well.

After we secured the town, my team was on the hill overlooking the AA. Some of us went too far ahead and got spotted by the AA, and somehow all of our initial missiles went stray. The Tigris was getting pissed at us, and every time someone poked their head it opened up on us.

A word of advise, if someone is down, do NOT run up to them. Let them crawl back. When Setup was shot, Yakir tried to get him up, right there in plain view of the Tigris. When I had dragged Yakir back and got him up again, he immediately did the same. Way to go Big Grin

I have no idea why we had a communication problem. I tried to reach Alias several times, and it seemed to me that every time everyone on the team heard me, so I wonder what went wrong there.

Red team did a good job on the airport. Good long range shooting Smile

Operation Stonefish

Too bad Variable got shot immediately. We managed to avoid most combat on the way to the primary objective, and set up the mortar a bit off the target with sight, so we could engage the troops with pretty precise fire. We skipped the optional target (Osprey) because last time it felt like this was intentionally meant to bend us over and ... nevermind, not going to finish that sentence. Once we arrived at the extraction, nothing happaned, but we considered it done anyway.