Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-30-2014, 12:01 PM)Variable link Wrote:I thought I was doing just that ("Bravo, Alpha" when I'm Alpha and the recipient is Bravo's lead). I'll pay attention more closely next time.

You were, but not always, or maybe you talked to the other squad and I ignored it, then addressed me and I had ask if it was meant for me. I think LR comms turned into a conversation a couple of times.
Bomberman III

Two more failures. I do think that Variable's strategy will work out. The first time I was the last one left of the team because I was at the blocking position in the south, so I was under time pressure to get back to the team since they were bleeding out. Unfortunately, there was too much infantry on site, I managed to shoot a couple but eventually they got me.
The second time  the missile hit the truck, and Delta eventually died.

Fly Catcher

Not our best attempt. A squad-sized team of CSAT managed to sneak up on us while we were looking for the Strider. Given the fact that they came from the expected direction of enemy contact, the conclusion is we were tunnelvisioned on finding that MRAP.

In the initial assault of those guys four of our team died, including the team leader.

Still love this mission, even though it routinely murders us.

Operation Tweety Bird

The beginning was rather slow. Plenty of time to enjoy the sunrise, which, I have to say, was a spectacular view from the hillside (I am saying this without irony, I *really* enjoyed that sight). Assaulting the base was fun,  too bad we weren't in a position to see the fireworks of the UAV's attack on the tank column.

On our way to the hotel, we were jumped by a CSAT spec op with a silenced weapon that almost got us, but we made it through there without losses.

There are a few things that should be discussed about how the mission was executed. Don't take this personal, Phantom, I know it is a bitch to lead a , what, 14 men team? These things below happen frequently, I am just using yesterday's experience to point them out.

The point being, precise orders and situational updates.

Precise orders

On several occasions, I was confused by the orders and couldn't quite place them. For example, one order was "all Infantry that is effective on me". I have no idea what this was supposed to mean. We didn't have contact at that point yet, so we all were effective and able to engage. I didn't know if I was supposed to be included in that order or not.

Shortly afterwards, I heard the order to engage, but had no idea what exactly to engage. I radioed for advice and didn't get any reply, probably lost over the sound of the sudden bursts of fire. As it turned out, the AT guys and team leader had spotted a patrol, but neglected to tell the part of the team that was left behind and only just regrouped where these guys were. I was finally able to see them by following tracers, but I should have had that information in the first place. Bottom line of this is to update your team before you give an engagement order.

Apparently, the recent friendly fire incidents on "Rising Sun" were also caused by this issue.

Situational Updates

Around the end of the mission, my team got the order to assault the hotel. We were scanning the windows for potential targets when the mission suddenly ended. I asked whether Phantom and team were in the hotel already, and only then learned they were indeed inside. Given our direction of attack (west to east towards the sun) it would have been doubtful whether we could identify friendly targets. Without the knowledge that the other team was already on site, friendly fire incidents would have been unavoidable.

Bottom line here, if you are also attacking a target, make sure everybody knows your position. In the reverse, make sure your team knows were everyone else is, because I remember when we played "Stop that Train", we had a similar incident were one team leader didn't update his team on the situation of other teams and they opened fire on friendlies.

Avenging Needle

The mission was unplayably choppy for me, and the pistols make it impossible to be revived. I like the setup and mission idea, but I feel that 150 units on a map, probably with a lot of them in the town area, is a tad bit too much.

Part of the failure of this was my fault, since I crested the hill too far away and therefore my half of the team was ineffective. But as I said, the lag made it impossible for me to play this.

Court Marshalled

The mechanism of being undetected worked this time around. I do think however that the mission is pretty much impossible to make. There are 164 NATO on the small space of the Shapur base, lots of them APC's, armour, AA and choppers. The two choppers immediately took off and attacked us and/or the off-map reinforcements, and again as soon as the shooting started performance dropped dramatically.

Also, we had that strange bird problem again, seemingly with every death... No idea why.

Stars : Midnight Flash

Very nice mission, I liked the mood and general feel of thread from the patrols and MRAPS. Execution was good, I think, no losses except for the glitching at the end. BTC review glued downed units to the floor, no chance to get up anymore or move, so in essence we had to have me and one AI killed in order to complete the mission (which didn't end either).

Okay, long post... hope I didn't bore anyone Big Grin
(09-01-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Bomberman III

Two more failures. I do think that Variable's strategy will work out. The first time I was the last one left of the team because I was at the blocking position in the south, so I was under time pressure to get back to the team since they were bleeding out. Unfortunately, there was too much infantry on site, I managed to shoot a couple but eventually they got me.
The second time  the missile hit the truck, and Delta eventually died.
My strategy didn't take into account so much infantry. We did manage to stop the truck and destroy the armed Ifrits. I have no idea what can we do against so much infantry while we are only 4 dudes. Maybe just hunker down and let them assault our positions and trigger Val's AP mines... either way, I'm stepping down from Charlie's command, I've had my share of attempts...

(09-01-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Fly Catcher

Not our best attempt. A squad-sized team of CSAT managed to sneak up on us while we were looking for the Strider. Given the fact that they came from the expected direction of enemy contact, the conclusion is we were tunnelvisioned on finding that MRAP.

In the initial assault of those guys four of our team died, including the team leader.

Still love this mission, even though it routinely murders us.
Great mission as always. Ambushing the vehicles went better than I'd expected. We managed to take out four enemy vehicles, which is the most we ever managed to get, completely removing the vehicle threat from us.
The guys that snuck up on us, well, that was the best leason we can get about covering sectors- it's everybody's responsibility to set up overwatch.
Just one clarification - If an enemy spots you, you can fire on it, without receiving authorization to open fire. I'm not sure but while spectating I heard Alwarren telling Den to not fire although he got spotted?

(09-01-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Operation Tweety Bird

The beginning was rather slow. Plenty of time to enjoy the sunrise, which, I have to say, was a spectacular view from the hillside (I am saying this without irony, I *really* enjoyed that sight). Assaulting the base was fun,  too bad we weren't in a position to see the fireworks of the UAV's attack on the tank column.
For us at the UAV team it was the prime of the evening, too bad UnnamedGER had that horrible, horrible, bug of morphing out from the hunter, which pretty much excluded him from the mission. I flew the darter and Greyhawk and it was great. The sniper team lased armored targets for us and I dropped GBUs on them. I like laser designating operations, it's one of the pinnacles coop gameplay.
Later on the bug attacked me as well, and that lead to Valhalian's death, and mine.

(09-01-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Stars : Midnight Flash

Very nice mission, I liked the mood and general feel of thread from the patrols and MRAPS. Execution was good, I think, no losses except for the glitching at the end. BTC review glued downed units to the floor, no chance to get up anymore or move, so in essence we had to have me and one AI killed in order to complete the mission (which didn't end either).

Okay, long post... hope I didn't bore anyone Big Grin
Great mission! usually specop missions put you up to fight an army, or have you penetrate impenetrable defence lines and THEN put you up against that army. This mission managed to stay immersive and entertaining while still challenging. We had to carefully plan our approach on the target to avoid the roads because of multiple Ifrit patrols on them, took out an isolated two-men patrol, and quickly took down an AA nest, called in a UAV which dropped a GBU on the radar target and destroyed it. The LZ was swarming with enemies and the extraction was hot. The Ghosthawk took multiple hits but with the aid of its door gunners we managed to extract safely. Great mission, and good job to Sandbox, Llauma and Alwarren for a flawless execution.
Highlight - Sandbox and Llauma taking out enemy infantry approaching our position while Alwarren and I was busy in lasing the radar and piloting the UAV.
(09-01-2014, 03:11 PM)Variable link Wrote:Just one clarification - If an enemy spots you, you can fire on it, without receiving authorization to open fire. I'm not sure but while spectating I heard Alwarren telling Den to not fire although he got spotted?

Yes. The point was that we had cover there and I wanted them to get closer. As it were, it was a 300-400 meter firefight that they had the better chances of winning with their superior weapons. In the end, I decided to shorten the distance by moving up to them, but as was to be expected, the result was getting fire for the hilltop.

Den wasn't sure (or it didn't come across when he said it) that he was spotted when he reported the contacts, only that they were alerted and apparently aware of enemies. It would have been better to let them get closer to us in this case, which is why I ordered him to hold fire.

Moreover, the fire might have drawn other forces to flank us.

At this point I really didn't want us to get into a prolonged, long-range firefight. I had considered pulling back into the city and trying to advance on the left side.
co14_otl7_bomberman_three

I never anticipated the ambush to be such a pain in the ass when I was making the mission. Tongue

On the second attempt, Delta were all revivable after truck got hit, but what was probably a bounding mine got triggered and the subsequent explosion wiped us out.

co16_fhq_flycatcher

I think I didn't micromanage enough, since the mission required special movement and at least two guys ran through open behind me and caught my bullets for me. Crossing one by one is less risky. This one definitely requires everyone to be near hard cover and at least one RPG guy standing still at all times in case a vehicle pops up while we're moving.

I'm not sure if we were that good at moving or if Alpha took all the heat, but I managed to get to the factory without making contact. That area is a bitch though, especially those pipes.

I think we should devise a plan to hole up in Lakka and make them come to us, vehicles and the swarm of CSAT that comes down the hill. I think ideally we should try to capture a vehicle, but without explosives and repair guys this is not possible.

co18_operation_tweety_bird

Saw lots of action at start as sniper team, not much later. I do sympathize with the horrors of leading a 14-man team, I don't think this mission had enough in it to satisfy 18 people.

co12_avengence_needle

Can't comment on how pistols vs. enemy with rifles and vests (vests can take a couple of 9mm) works out, lagged too much.

co@11_court_marshalled

On first attempt, I tried setting up behind the ridge and attacking the armor/AA from a far, but as soon as we disembarked, all hell broke lose.

On second attempt, we tried going into the base, but I think we ran someone over and got blown up in an instant by the dozen enemy vehicles that were in there.
Bomberman Three

Good mission, was my first time attempting it but I'd love to try it again.  As Bravo leader we basically did nothing the whole time so that was a downside, but assaulting that FOB would have been fun had we gotten past the convoy part.

Flycatcher

Again, good mission.  I don't recall exactly how many infantry and vehicles there were, but it seemed like a lot, even for 16 players.  I think we destroyed like 4-5 APCs before even reaching the base?  And by then dozens of infantry were pouring into the factory area.  Then again, 4 of us being killed by close enemies about mid-way through was probably a large contributing factor to our failure.  Like Alwarren said, everyone was watching their backs trying to not be gunned down by the MRAP, and we totally missed the enemies coming down from the base.

Operation Tweety Bird

I liked this mission, but IMO it took far too long.  I don't know if it was due to leadership, radio issues, disconnect between the teams, or whatever, but it seemed like I was either standing around or sitting in the back of the truck for 1 of the nearly 2 hours it took to complete this mission.  At least we finished it, though!
(09-02-2014, 02:53 AM)MavericK link Wrote:Flycatcher

Again, good mission.  I don't recall exactly how many infantry and vehicles there were, but it seemed like a lot, even for 16 players.  I think we destroyed like 4-5 APCs before even reaching the base?  And by then dozens of infantry were pouring into the factory area.  Then again, 4 of us being killed by close enemies about mid-way through was probably a large contributing factor to our failure.  Like Alwarren said, everyone was watching their backs trying to not be gunned down by the MRAP, and we totally missed the enemies coming down from the base.

Ok, spoiler alert, mark to read:

Well, 4-5 APCs would surprise me, since there is exactly two APCs (A marid and a gorgon) on the whole map, and 7 MRAPs (two of them without crew).

Total enemy units is 120, including all the crews of the vehicles, the airport personel, etc. There's four full CSAT squads on the hill and around it, as well as several two-men patrols in the vicinity of the base, and a larger four men patrol circling the hill . Of the APCs, only the Gorgon has a squad of infantry loaded.

So in essence, there isn't that much opposition in the immediate vicinity.

My original idea on how to beat the mission was to mainly capture the factory at the base of the hill, and use that as buffer zone; first as buffer towards the hill, then as buffer towards anything coming in from the lowlands.

The big danger in this mission comes of course from the vehicles, the high concentration of enemy forces in one area, and the advantage the enemy has over larger distances due to scoped weapons.. So the only approach is drawing them out and trying to fight them close range, hence, I think the factory is the ideal battleground.
I think by APCs Maverick meants MRAPs; in practical terms there isn't much difference, they are both armored, fast and have remote controlled turrets  Tongue
(09-02-2014, 02:53 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:I think Maverick counted MRAPs as APCs, in practical terms there isn't much difference, they both armored, fast and have remote controlled turrets :p
And both taken out by a single AT RPG.
MRAPs have a predetermined weapon, and most of those I used were HMGs. APCs have both HMG and GMG, and are much more dangerous
Sorry, my terminology was not clear.  I guess I just meant "armored vehicles" in general.
Just to make it clear, I can reduce the amount of enemies/vehicles
(09-02-2014, 11:12 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Just to make it clear, I can reduce the amount of enemies/vehicles

No, don't. We can make it.
(09-03-2014, 09:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:No, don't. We can make it.

Yes we can, don't change anything, i love it as it is.
Gravity
First of all thank you for feedback. I was a bit nervous from various reasons. I know this mission can be a little hard on clients and i'm not 100% will work fine for all 15 players. In the pre-test with 2-5 players worked fine on every chapter and far as i can tell it went well on CiA event as well.
Too bad we lost too many people too fast, the mission only started Smile
The corridors between radiation pockets are pretty wide but even so is time consuming if you try to find them, even for me who i made the mission. This is the reason i placed those camp fires used by enemy patrols on their route.
Anyways, i updated the mission based on feedback and is available for download.

Molten iron

One of the best Persian's missions. ARMA gods weren't with me, the dam blur bug got me for 10 minutes and i had to disconnect and connect again to get rid of it, i missed a big portion of action from the beginning. I died early while flanking, but i enjoyed spectating, mission felt alive with many things going on.
Good job Persian!