Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-18-2014, 01:56 AM)3lackrose link Wrote:**On a side note i don't see why there is so much negative feedback (on BIS forums) about the new fatigue system, taking often pauses during our movements helped indeed but i was never over fatigued during the missions. The only moment where i really had problems with fatigue was during Red Dead since i was carrying a Titan Launcher, 3 rockets, a satchel and dozen of magazine and other stuff so pretty legit to be impaired in movements so quick.

I feel the same. It is punishing to exert yourself too much, and I like that fact. I was a bit scared by the complaints I saw on the forums, but I think it is fine as it is.

Agreed about Red Dead, but the mission overloaded us all without regards for Fatigue (probably an older one), I had like 20 mags left in my low-capacity radio backpack.

Quote: I wish to remind everybody that this is not a mission review thread.

Maybe we should have one. It's interesting at least for me as a mission maker myself to see what people like and dislike about missions, not only my own but in general. I am sure other mission makers would be interested too. I guess I am going to kick one off.
Mayor of Pyrgos

Good leading. Pretty intense mission, with a few shortcomings in clarity of briefing.
I'd like to make a request, though. During a stealth mission, when someone talks in a low voice, this is a sign of immersion. Please don't destroy that immersion by saying "you can speak loud, they don't hear us". It's mostly that immersion which I play this game for.

The Box

Enemies spawning right on top of us made this mission a bit chaotic. At one point I thought I had shot one of our guys, but it turned out to be an enemy anyway. Nice to see us getting all fatigued when storming up that hill, I must say I like the system.

Cartel Inc

Good leading by Outlawz, this mission wasn't easy. The mission was way too long, had a weird setup (all engineers/medics) and my personal nemesis, the Virtual Ammobox. At least it kept us on our toes, but due to the repetition of the same target three times, I found it rather repetitive. I am not entirely sure how we survived that tank.

Valley Strike

Can't really say a lot about this one. I was killed in the initial assault, and I am quite sure that it was a grenade from the GMG Hunter that killed me. I was on the right side of the road, and the grenades were falling short of their targets.
(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Mayor of Pyrgos

Good leading. Pretty intense mission, with a few shortcomings in clarity of briefing.
I'd like to make a request, though. During a stealth mission, when someone talks in a low voice, this is a sign of immersion. Please don't destroy that immersion by saying "you can speak loud, they don't hear us". It's mostly that immersion which I play this game for.
Lovely mission. The custom ambient sounds were spot on. Especially that three ships horns when we approached the harbour. Too bad our plan to scare the mayor off into the hands of Snake 2 didn't work. Great communication and leading Pacifico, you should take the lead more often.

(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:The Box

Enemies spawning right on top of us made this mission a bit chaotic. At one point I thought I had shot one of our guys, but it turned out to be an enemy anyway. Nice to see us getting all fatigued when storming up that hill, I must say I like the system.
Great execution everybody, some nice infantry action. One comment - When the leader orders suppressive fire, everybody spend at least one mag on firing towards the enemy. You don't need to see them, just their general direction and lay down a lot of lead. Worry about low ammo later.

(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Cartel Inc

Good leading by Outlawz, this mission wasn't easy. The mission was way too long, had a weird setup (all engineers/medics) and my personal nemesis, the Virtual Ammobox. At least it kept us on our toes, but due to the repetition of the same target three times, I found it rather repetitive. I am not entirely sure how we survived that tank.
Good leading Outlwaz! Sorry if I was unresponsive at times, I started to fall asleep during the driving. At one point I just asked Maverick to drive so I could dose off in the passenger seat! Don't know what's up with me lately!

The Box

Do you know any codes/scripts about detecting voices in game?!

Agreed, although there is a balance where at some point the voice is too low even over the radio to understand.  It was borderline that for me at times, but yeah, it felt immersive to have a lower voice and I don't see any reason why it can't be used when appropriate.

As for the mission itself, I liked it...quite a bit of action and good execution.  I really wish we could adjust NV sensitivity as a base game feature, though, because in the town it was not quite bright enough to not use them, but there were occasional flares/flashing lights that made it hard to see with NVGs on.

(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:The Box

Yeah, the enemy spawning was a bit silly.  I liked the patrols around the perimeter of the area, but several times I am pretty sure enemies spawned like 50-100m away from us in an area we had just cleared...not very realistic.  Otherwise, it was a good mission with a lot of action at times.

(07-21-2014, 12:07 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Cartel Inc

Yeah, good execution here too, even though I also felt the mission was far too long (pushing 2 hours).  I'm not a huge fan of the Virtual Ammobox either, but I think it was basically required in this mission to get what you needed to succeed.  Though, that should have been replaced by relevant loadouts (not just everyone being a medic or engineer) and ammo/weapons inside the Hunter or something.  Overall, mission design like that just feels like old-school Domination where every soldier can do whatever they want.

I agree that the objectives were not super interesting (although, to be fair, different from most objectives in missions we play), though we certainly had a lot of action-packed moments in the mission so I can't say it was uninteresting overall.  Plus, the task didn't even complete properly at the end, which was a bit of a bummer after such a long mission.

The tank was scary...I fell a bit behind due to fatigue and a couple of times I could see it scanning when I looked over my shoulder.  I think it may have gotten stuck on a rock at some point which may have aided in our escape.

Overall, I felt really good about the night as a whole.  We completed all missions successfully with very few casualties overall.  Great leading and soldiering (?) all around.
It would be better to outfit the group with enough diversity instead of half engineer and half medic, and put e.g. a supply drop in, or have supplies at the base. The virtual ammo box is basically saying "here, everybody take the best weapon ever", and in the end you end up missing crucial equipment because it took the easy way out.

Plus, being revived reset the loadout to default. Doh.
Alwarren-
The Valley: Yes, apologies for the team kills. I will not be making that error in aiming in the future. Please put this mission back on the "To replay" list.

Mayor of Pyrgos: immersion: I agree Alwarren. The leaders of CIA set the tone for good immersion and it's why I look forward to playing with the group each week.

The Box: While I also hate enemies spawning "on top of us", I have to say it kept me on my toes and made the mission exciting nonetheless. When enemies always spawn 300-600m away behind a hill (which is admittedly more realistic), it doesn't provide the same kind of excitement. As a mission maker, how can we create the excitement without the feeling of unfairness? A declaration of potential foxholes, ambushes, etc. might help the leaders prepare.

Variable: Yeah, sorry for the wild goose chase with Snake/sneak 2 at the pier. I was certain the HVT would end up there, but McGregor was in place to intercept.

Persian: Since we use TFR and teamspeak, A3 doesn't know about our audio levels. I might suggest a probability of detection based on proximity to the enemy and other input such as cat sound trigger. I personally don't think that you need to change anything with regard to detection of the players in your mission.

(07-21-2014, 06:19 PM)Pacifico link Wrote:Alwarren-
The Valley: Yes, apologies for the team kills. I will not be making that error in aiming in the future. Please put this mission back on the "To replay" list.

No worries, might have been a UGL, but I think the grenade came from behind.
Shit happens Smile
Apologies for my intermittent participation during the latest event. My operating system keeps crashing from time to time during A3 MP. Not sure if it is an issue related to the game or my machine but I will investigate.
(07-25-2014, 07:40 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:Apologies for my intermittent participation during the latest event. My operating system keeps crashing from time to time during A3 MP. Not sure if it is an issue related to the game or my machine but I will investigate.
No problem HK, hope you manage to fix this. If you need assistance post on our Technical board.

Operation Kinetic
Well we got our assess handed to us. I don't know how we failed to spot all those vehicles (two or three Ifrits and an AA tank) when we observed the town from afar, from two angles (actually from the air too). Maybe they spawned when we got close?
One comment - The Ghosthawk was ordered to wait until we need it, which lead to Valhalian, the pilot, to just stay put far from the action throughout the whole mission. That chopper could have been used used for reconnaissance just like the LB and even if it couldn't, holding a player to wait for such a long time (I would define long time as about 15 minutes and more) is something leaders should avoid, even if it is the right thing to do tactically. Gameplay comes first.

Airport Assault
That was another good try! I swear these AI can see our mines and claymores and are able to avoid them. Otherwise I can't explain how they didn't blow up on them in all these attempts when we kept placing the mines on different areas. Alwarren's team saved my ass on that hill after Maverick died, that's for sure. I think we did good on the assault on the terminal but there were just too many of them. Good job Etzu on killing all those AAF with your pistol, we should call you Wyatt Earp!

Wraith Recon Mission 5
The first attack was executed almost flawlessly, I love when suppressive and flanking maneuvers work. That's where TPWCAS really shines. Shooting them up on their sides makes my juices bubble! Doveman awesome work on that suppression, whenever a machine gunner runs dry on ammo he should be commended! Tha't the way to do it, never be shy on that trigger.

Our disengagement battle was also glorious. These NATO guys really fight well and they had the upper hand. We shouldn't have assaulted that ammo depot without getting some AT's first. Once we saw that Hunter MG there we should have quietly pull back, find a patrol with AT to ambush and get back there with more punch.

Sub Raid
Love that mission! It's insanely hard but I wouldn't want it to be any different. We were very close to locating the hostage, would have been awesome extracting him under fire.

Pushing the Peace (that mission with the UN mercs)
I think two mistakes were made - the first, those poor UN soldier was almost totally decimated while we were moving around and around the enemy, at one point even moving so far away from them so we had to double back. In such situations being fast is important, even at the sake of attacking not from the best position.

On the second objective we did what we had to do on the first one, but on that case it got us killed. We stopped right in between two compounds, not more than 150 away and got shot to pieces rather fast. Loved that mission nonetheless.
(07-29-2014, 02:01 PM)Variable link Wrote:Operation Kinetic
Well we got our assess handed to us. I don't know how we failed to spot all those vehicles (two or three Ifrits and an AA tank) when we observed the town from afar, from two angles (actually from the air too). Maybe they spawned when we got close?

I am still not sure how I exactly kicked my proverbial bucket in that mission. All of a sudden I died, in spite of being fully behind a solid stone wall. When the dust settled, I saw the wall topple over, but that was after I got shot. No idea what happened.

Quote:One comment - The Ghosthawk was ordered to wait until we need it, which lead to Valhalian, the pilot, to just stay put far from the action throughout the whole mission. That chopper could have been used used for reconnaissance just like the LB and even if it couldn't, holding a player to wait for such a long time (I would define long time as about 15 minutes and more) is something leaders should avoid, even if it is the right thing to do tactically. Gameplay comes first.

Actually, that wasn't what I said. I told Valhalian to keep his distance from the tiown to stay out of machine gun fire but try to spot targets. More I could not do, since he didn't have door gunners he wouldn't gain anything from getting closer.

The Littlebird has better chances over the town because of its mobility. The Ghost Hawk was better off scouting from the distance.

Quote:Airport Assault
That was another good try! I swear these AI can see our mines and claymores and are able to avoid them.

It would make sense if they had an engineer with them.

Quote:Otherwise I can't explain how they didn't blow up on them in all these attempts when we kept placing the mines on different areas. Alwarren's team saved my ass on that hill after Maverick died, that's for sure. I think we did good on the assault on the terminal but there were just too many of them. Good job Etzu on killing all those AAF with your pistol, we should call you Wyatt Earp!

Also good shooting by Knight, a few reflex shots that really connected.

The assault itself, I don't know but the plan seemed to be good at that time, at least I thought so. Two teams, using the roadside ditch as cover... I can't really say why I was shot.

Quote:Wraith Recon Mission 5
Our disengagement battle was also glorious. These NATO guys really fight well and they had the upper hand. We shouldn't have assaulted that ammo depot without getting some AT's first. Once we saw that Hunter MG there we should have quietly pull back, find a patrol with AT to ambush and get back there with more punch.

Unfortunately I misjudged the distance to the hunter and missed it by maybe 10 centimeters. I was also still exhausted since I had to crawl forwards to avoid getting shot. Which really annoyed the fuck out of me, because usually I am really good with the RPG-42 (See "Hack'n'Slash video, or one time where I hit a driving BTR-K at 600 meters range with the thing. Blergh).

Crawling along that wall was... intense. I just heard the bullets crack and the impacts on top of me, that was piss-inducing scary. Unfortunately, it also proved quite deadly because one I crawled towards the edge of the narrow ditch I immediately got shot.
(07-29-2014, 03:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Actually, that wasn't what I said. I told Valhalian to keep his distance from the tiown to stay out of machine gun fire but try to spot targets. More I could not do, since he didn't have door gunners he wouldn't gain anything from getting closer.
I see, but he wasn't around. He landed somewhere. Might have been a failed communication issue.

(07-29-2014, 03:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Also good shooting by Knight, a few reflex shots that really connected.
Yeah, as usual, nice shooting Knight!

(07-29-2014, 03:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:The assault itself, I don't know but the plan seemed to be good at that time, at least I thought so. Two teams, using the roadside ditch as cover... I can't really say why I was shot.
You were shot from your back by two guys that flanked us (or chased us from the sniper vantage point). I don't think it was wise to make a frontal assault on that very long terminal. We were wiped out when we attacked from the right, but that was because of the Strider GMG, which we destroyed in this mission. Either that or from the left would have been better (I guess).

(07-29-2014, 03:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Unfortunately I misjudged the distance to the hunter and missed it by maybe 10 centimeters. I was also still exhausted since I had to crawl forwards to avoid getting shot. Which really annoyed the fuck out of me, because usually I am really good with the RPG-42 (See "Hack'n'Slash video, or one time where I hit a driving BTR-K at 600 meters range with the thing. Blergh).
nonetheless, we shouldn't have attacked with only one launcher at our disposal, there was that Marshal patrolling there and it also attacked us. My bad...

(07-29-2014, 03:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Crawling along that wall was... intense. I just heard the bullets crack and the impacts on top of me, that was piss-inducing scary. Unfortunately, it also proved quite deadly because one I crawled towards the edge of the narrow ditch I immediately got shot.
Yeah, that was intense. It reminded me of the Bint Jbeil battle in the 2006 Lebanon war, probably because of that walled yard we were caught on when the enemy attack started.
I attacked frontally because there were more trroops, including a Strider, on the runway (which I thought was a GMG as well... it was unarmed as I later saw *sigh*) so by attacking the terminal frontally, I figured we'd be safe from anything behind it. I certainly remember getting attacked from the runway the first time we tried the mission (I was leading at that time), but yeah, every time we did that the Strider on the parking lot took us out.

With the sniping you did before, I figured the approach would be safer than it was.
FHQ Stop The Train

I came late, but it seems pretty fun. The low FPS is really unbareable though can use some fixing.

Operation Aspis Part 2

I did not like this mission at all. The only task Bravo get was pretty much board the convoy, that's it. It's pretty misinforming when the overall task is pretty much capture 2 towns. The tasks and briefings are really mess up and the convoy is too. Hunting for the last guy is a pain and hunting for all the mines are a pain. Bravo task basically in a way is pretty much sit there. It was also painfully long (argh, and I have some deadlines tomorrow...)
FHQ Stop The Train

Nice mission again FHQ. The mission started in a slow pace, like  warming up for the real deal ... and it was great until we start having bad fps. I like the atmosphere and that i felt cornered. I wasn't paying attention at the end due the lag, and me splitting up, getting on the roof to get a better view didn't help the frames issue and freeman died in his attempt to help me. Sorry Sad

I came to the conclusion that what differentiate a good mission from the rest is the atmosphere and not the tasks, amount of briefing or how nice you draw on map like in "place as many colored markers contest".

Something that interest me... if you have an answer for the lag let me know AL, in Flycatcher we had more enemies and most of us didn't lag. Could be a map issue? I want to try my hand with mission editing and will be nice to know in advance what to do to avoid problems like that. Thanks

Operation Aspis Part 2

I like the part where we had to push covering the engineer who was minding the mines as for the rest...  :-X
Let's just say I would rather not play something like this ever again Smile Took away from us more than 2 valuable gameplay hours.