Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apologies for getting killed by the fire, after 2.5 hrs I went derp. But what's up with the fire kill radius, I checked in editor after I died and you need be standing on top of the fire to die. Is it some server addon/setting or the Psycho revive?
I usually prefer playing it safe once under too much heavy fire or in general mores after our AI idiotically shot the darter. I do should keep track of the fireteam more though.

The fire a psycho thing probably.
(07-07-2014, 02:52 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Apologies for getting killed by the fire, after 2.5 hrs I went derp. But what's up with the fire kill radius, I checked in editor after I died and you need be standing on top of the fire to die. Is it some server addon/setting or the Psycho revive?

No idea, but the same happened with one of the Hardcore missions, so I guess it's a bug in the current Arma binary
Combat Research

I led this one, so I'll debrief it as I remember it better than the other missions Wink

I didn't actually recognise it from the previous attempt when I was planning but once we started, it came back to me. I did take a rather long route around before I got Misha to snipe some of the towers to make it safer for us to approach but I think it worked out fairly well like that, as approaching from the South would have us coming in between two towers quite close to each other, as well as the road with vehicles patrolling.

Approaching from the East, we were able to thin out the enemy at the first two towers whilst Red team kept an eye on the road and took out one of the vehicles, without being too exposed. I'm not sure exactly when but unfortunately at some point we lost our medic, Valhallian. Then Alwarren, Misha and myself came under heavy fire from the outskirts when we went to check one of the towers, which took me by surprise as I only expected them to be close to the tower and unfortunately we lost Alwarren there and Misha and myself got injured. It was lucky that the enemy got scared and went prone, as otherwise they probably would have killed all three of us!

After getting patched up, everyone did a good job taking out the helos dropping reinforcements and then using the towers to take care of the remaining enemy and it was a nice surprise to find there were none left to engage us on the way to our extraction chopper. Just sorry I didn't manage to bring more of you home but you will be remembered  :'(
(07-07-2014, 03:35 PM)Phantom link Wrote:I usually prefer playing it safe once under too much heavy fire or in general mores after our AI idiotically shot the darter. I do should keep track of the fireteam more though.

Playing it safe is all nice, but IMO at the farm we weren't really in immediate danger. We had enough cover and could stick around to see if there was a real issue.

Especially after the mission took so long, it is time to break the habit. You might remember that I said at the southern end of Green Mountain we should get out of the open? You wanted to retreat AWAY from the target even more. I'd rather fail a mission and try it again later than running away all the time.

Note that this wasn't exclusively meant for you. Misha also lead us all the way around any potential threads, as did Doveman in the last mission on Proving Ground. Same with "Stop that Train" where it took around 50 minutes to circle the camp to get into a position that wasn't any better for attacking than the direct approach.  That's a personal preference, mind you. I'd rather be bold and fail than be bored and succeed.

By no means do I want to impose my preference on anyone. You are the leader, you lead - I follow.
Greenback Mountain
I loved that mission. Yeah, vehicles would have made it even better. I want to take responsibility of breaking off when we climbed the hill, I was urged to get there fast because it seemed like lightly guarded after all the sentries left to attack Bravo and Alpha as the attacked from the south. It proved itself, but I should have been less assertive when I asked Phantom to let us perform the flank.
Phantom, I have to agree about the being too cautious criticism. It's not real life and taking risks in Arma usually leads to more intense moments. In addition, it wastes less time. Always remember that leading is balancing between the mission, safety of your troops and the fun factor. Other than that, good job stepping up! You are getting better at leading with each attemp! Smile

Clearing the Way
That was a phantastic mission. I suppose the counter attack could have been more decisive, but hey, that's the AAF... Wink It was immersive and tactical and I enjoyed every second of it. Video is rendering!

Op Raw Carrot
Another cool one by Sandbox! I liked the fact we shouldn't have to face the enemy and could just sneak in a rocket or two or bug out. That's how specops missions should be! And yeah, we should avoid the "over flanking" phenomena, again, gameplay should be preferable over safety and caution.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]C[/color]ombat Research
I am shocked I survived this one as I was sleeping through half of it probably... Good job Doveman!
Greenback Mountain
Great mission. The enemies had just the right skill level to make it an intense mission without everyone ending up dead within seconds. It ended up to be a long mission but I can't really complain as I had someone shooting at me most of the time. Luckily my accidental grenade didn't end up killing us all in the beginning. I need to get used to the key mapping and remap some of the "danger keys".

Clearing the way
Nice mission even though I was expecting a little more resistance when we took the beach. The counter attack wasn't that impressive considering we had two allied tanks heading our way to support us. They didn't even get the chance to engage the enemy before it ended.

Op Ram Carrot
I guess that the mission maker expected us to do a little more fighting than we ended up doing. After blowing up the first trucks and chopper I would expect the second base to be on highest alert with incoming reinforcements to the area. For me the mission ended up being way too easy. One person riding a bicycle with a rocket launcher on his back could have finished it. I enjoyed it though.

Combat Research
The only mission where I ended up dying. We didn't have too much trouble taking the area. Unfortunately I forgot to keep my eyes open so I got shot going up a tower.
I actually wanted you to perform the flank since you seem to have no targets and bravo alpha seem to have turn to bait. It'd get the job done quicker then come back for bravo/alpha after job done for the retreat to next objective.
Clearing the Way

Some nice action there, with many points to secure and sporadic counter attacks, it felt warish and I was happy a grunt.

Op Ram Carrot

I'm sure that mission design is such that we actually had to take the towns first and then destroy supplies. The way we did it under my lead, we exploited a loophole to get the objectives done quickly. Or maybe it wasn't a loophole? Only the mission maker knows. Maybe he left that loophole knowingly. I think I tried to hold a mini referendum on the course of action - shall we assault the city or just fire the rockets. And it was my impression, that general mood favoured the latter. 

We did a little sidestepping to get to the objectives, but this was my first playthrough, so assumed that we may encounter something on the way, otherwise I would have ordered us to move more quickly.

[Old man remembering stuff mode on] I remember that it was almost a rule years ago that we play missions and beat them by exploiting such loopholes. But I was more in favor in doing what mission maker expected player to do, otherwise you beat the mission but you don't get same kind of experience that author wanted to create. In some sense, it's ok to exploit all opportunities, after all, this is an open world game (and real military would certainly go the easier way to accomplish objectives), but not all mission makers take advantage of this. So, I think it's beneficial to recognize if that's the case and play by its rules if a mission ain't suited to approaches other than expected (default) one. [Old man mode off]

But what if a mission is too hard? Start looking for a loopholes!

Combat Reseach

Nice leading Doveman! Yeah, start was a bit slow in terms of action, but the approach to the objective was perfect and it made enemies come to us so we didn't have to face the whole force inside the crater at once. Guard post clearing was an easy task as enemy soldiers tended to get suicidal under fire, they all jumped or fell down from guard posts, but some of them survived. I'm sorry that I did't get some of your orders Doveman because someone had put laptop on my lap to fix unresponsive Libre Office running on Ubuntu, even though I know more about Finnish reggae scene than about Ubuntu, but it was real life urgent issue. The counter attack was almost too easy to fend off after we took one of the choppers that carried troops.   
In regards to loophole... when I made wild riders, I actually expected people to go west to the road from the mountain and then circle around (though people got detected) to the back end (east side of southern side) of the base. Seems like you guys decide to take the hardest (fun ride) on the southern hard to drive part of the mountain (fun downhill motorbike ride though). Of course when I first made it, waaaay too hard, but thats the fun of mission making sometimes. Sometimes things doesn't go according to whatever the mission maker have in mind. It create interesting scenarios and thats the greatest of open world as well and the greatness of feedbacks. This is why feedbacks are great, mission maker now know, future mission, take into account of things in the future to attempt to cover some loopholes, or intentionally give it to you. Anything can go.
Oh I forgot to add one important thing about Greenback mountain. I was leading Charlie team with Valhalian and McGregor, and these two fought like lions. Really, they tore through the enemy like two Spartan warriors, saving my reckless ass more than several times, including one time that I ran out of ammo while facing one AAF soldier who was 4 meters away for me. Mcgregor shot him in the face as he was aiming at me.

Another shining moment was on "Clearing the way" when team red assaulted the AAF overwatch position while team blue held it suppressed. The suppressive fire kept the enemy prone behind their sandbags so we could approach very close before opening fire. Take a look here and note how well the communication was:

As we approached-
Variable: Spread out. Some to my right, some to my left.
Misha: On your left.
Valhalian: On your right.
-Closing in-
"Frag out"
Misha - One guy behind the bunker
-guy taken out-

Just two short messages and I didn't even have to look to my sides and break line of sight with the target. That was reassuring! Great job guys on clearing this outpost. That was text book stuff right there.

See here how nicely this assault was carried out:
Just as a heads-up, Greenback Mountain is on the workshop now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=283032283

I would appreciate upvotes/comments Wink
(07-08-2014, 04:36 PM)Variable link Wrote:Oh I forgot to add one important thing about Greenback mountain. I was leading Charlie team with Valhalian and McGregor, and these two fought like lions. Really, they tore through the enemy like two Spartan warriors, saving my reckless ass more than several times, including one time that I ran out of ammo while facing one AAF soldier who was 4 meters away for me. Mcgregor shot him in the face as he was aiming at me.

Another shining moment was on "Clearing the way" when team red assaulted the AAF overwatch position while team blue held it suppressed. The suppressive fire kept the enemy prone behind their sandbags so we could approach very close before opening fire. Take a look here and note how well the communication was:

As we approached-
Variable: Spread out. Some to my right, some to my left.
Misha: On your left.
Valhalian: On your right.
-Closing in-
"Frag out"
Misha - One guy behind the bunker
-guy taken out-

Just two short messages and I didn't even have to look to my sides and break line of sight with the target. That was reassuring! Great job guys on clearing this outpost. That was text book stuff right there.

See here how nicely this assault was carried out:

Team Charlie was indeed a force to be reckoned with (despite our retarded AI who shot up the UAV we worked so hard for). We had many close calls but managed to pull trough. It was really epic trough out and felt way shorter than it was. In fact every one playing seemed to bring their A game on this one!

(07-08-2014, 05:05 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Just as a heads-up, Greenback Mountain is on the workshop now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=283032283

Up voted and commented Alwarren Smile
(07-08-2014, 05:25 PM)McGregor link Wrote:Up voted and commented Alwarren Smile

Thanks Smile
(07-08-2014, 05:05 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Just as a heads-up, Greenback Mountain is on the workshop now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=283032283

How do you format the description like that?