Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-26-2014, 01:07 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Pandora Box
- Not much action for commanding team, but doing the overwatch and giving orders plus Fap sniping from hill position was pretty nice. Nice shot with the A10 on the trucks.
Gotta love TFAR. Outlawz and I were shot down after engaging the north outpost (love the manual guidance of the Darter!). The LR radio we had was gone with the chopper and we couldn't communicate by radio with anyone and ask for help. It was when we were crawling and thought it was the end when we suddenly heard the voices of Fap and Phantom! What a relief. They patched us up and we retreated under fire. Quite an Arma moment that would not been possible without TFAR.
Leason learned - before crashing to the ground transmit quickly a mayday call with your position, as exact as possible before you crash!

(05-26-2014, 01:07 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Green River
- Nice execution between the teams and little birds. I don't know if there were any casualties or not but nice quick action.
Good mission indeed. I think me and Outlawz (command, sniper) didn't move more than 10 meters in this mission but it was still nice for us. Outlawz sniper fire could have made it a whole lot easier on the assault teams but after he took out the 50 cal. technical gunner, was ordered to take out only guys that open fire on you so you'll get to shoot some more ragheads. It was a nice view seeing the Little- birds on their strafing runs.

(05-26-2014, 01:07 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Operation Morning Glory
- Doesn't sound like difficulty extreme as the author suggest it I guess. Lots of arsenal of armor to choose from. It seems like everything been going pretty well. I don't know what happen after I left for lunch though but the armor sure makes the job easier.

I was the Comanche gunner, again, ang got shot, again, and got saved with Sithis, again. We had a great sortie before they shot us down, I think we took out 3 or 4 armoured units and a handful of infantry before they shot us down. Later on we used the MLRS and took off with the tanks to support the infantry. It was rather long, but a nice mission. I managed to get myself stuck on a rock with a Slammer tank!
(05-28-2014, 09:18 AM)Variable link Wrote:Gotta love TFAR. Outlawz and I were shot down after engaging the north outpost (love the manual guidance of the Darter!). The LR radio we had was gone with the chopper and we couldn't communicate by radio with anyone and ask for help. It was when we were crawling and thought it was the end when we suddenly heard the voices of Fap and Phantom! What a relief. They patched us up and we retreated under fire.

We "suddenly heard them", because I called them over my backpack LR radio. Wink

A parachute would have been way more useful though.

(05-28-2014, 10:11 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:We "suddenly heard them", because I called them over my backpack LR radio. Wink
Oh damn, I think Sithis as a pilot didn't have one. Did you Sithis?

(05-28-2014, 10:11 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:A parachute would have been way more useful though.
Not quite because you can't eject from helicopters anymore. Realistic!

I never left my A10 in that mission so I wouldnt know but i kept using the built in LRR.
(06-02-2014, 10:18 AM)Sithis link Wrote:I never left my A10 in that mission so I wouldnt know but i kept using the built in LRR.
I meant the mission "Operation Morning Glory" that you and I were operating the Comanche and got shot down.
Ok, no I dont think I had one.
Good games last night! Thanks everybody.

Convoy Ambush
I like this mission. It's special and the skill/accuracy calibrated, ASR/TPWCAS tweaked AI makes it very immersive. Too bad the server crashed at some point, I wonder what was the cause of it, I think the team had a good chance to push all the way to the base. I really want to see this mission completed... Maybe we can replay it several times until all of us manage to get through the ambush part.

Castle Wolfenstein
Finally! We even managed to overcome Alwarren's little unexpected CSAT Specops trap with no casualties hehe... Great job everybody, I think all teams did very well. Bravo (lead by Knight) took out the reinforcements while facing some pesky Specops, Charlie (lead by Outlawz) handling the Mortar and manuvering with it. and Victor 3, (lead by Sithis) for staying alive(!) and making sure the enemy never managed to counter attack. I loved how we advanced through the smoke screen up to the town and only then got engaged, we had some nice firefights in the town. The holed up CSAT that were holding their ground, especially those inside buildings, gave us a hard time but it was all very gratifying. Nice disengagemt from the town guys, we bugged out nicely after the AA vehicles were destroyed. I hate to tangle up and fight forces that had nothing to do with our objectives.

Road Trip (Russian forces countering a rebel ambush)
The first fire fight was great, I have no idea what the other teams were doing due to the comms problems and the massive shooting, so we just decided to take out one of the rebel groups that attacked from the forest to our right. We moved through the forest and left-flanked them, we took some injuries but prevailed. Afterwards, the hike to the UN base was stressing because we heard the fight there but were rather far away. Probably should have used our trucks. Nice mission although the lag.

Bomberman 2
Another fun mission. We as Delta, the divers team, attacked the isolated outpost to the north, packed up some heavier weapons, and swam towards an area that had a nice overwatch over the research facility. Over the radio, the attack seemed to progress nicely until a certain point. Hellhammer and Valhalian took charge of the remiaining fighters and conclude with us the assault on the facility.

Pandora's Dawn
Great mission. One of the most immersive Arma 3 missions I played to date. I hope Alwarren will manage to fix the issue with the dropped radios and the end trigger soon as I Looking forward to the next time we play it.

Very fun missions...too bad Road Trip was completely unplayable at the end for me.
Good games tonight, guys...

Operation Hush

Looked promising but turned out to be pretty much uneventful, and a 3 kilometer hike to the extraction wasn't exactly exciting either. Too few enemies and too little going on in a mission that could have otherwise been quite nice.

And I fell from a building -_-

Mission was accomplished, even though it didn't end.

On a certain incident during that mission, if I say "stay", don't go off and think you need to kill something. Stay with the team. No "ifs" and no "we were bunched up" - we weren't, and even IF we were, ask for permission first.

Securing Falta

Started out directly on top of the enemy, with a bit of a chaotic start. We lost a lot of guys in the beginning because of headless chicken syndrome - the team leader needs to get order into the battle, which was difficult in this case since there were no predefined teams.

Mission was accomplished, even though it didn't end. Checked with the monitor, no more enemies around.

Saboteur

Always like this mission even though it bites our asses all the time. Chatted with Den a bit afterwards, we both agreed we should try to lure the camp away with distant fire and then have one or two guys sneak up on the choppers. Swimming might be an option.

Mission Failed.

Pilot Rescue

Really nice one. I liked the atmosphere with the snowing and ground fog. Execution was good flawless leadership by Maverick, everybody did a great job.

Mission accomplished (and it even ended!)

Overall, good missions.
Yeah, good missions tonight...unfortunately about half of them that we initially chose ended up broken, which sadly wasted some time.  No one really at fault, though, it happens.

Operation Hush - I died twice, first as the Medic and then as the Ammo Bearer I spawned into...I guess I was just not being careful enough.  When we got into the town I saw a guy who I was not sure was an enemy or not (at that time we didn't all have lasers on) and got shot almost instantly before I could verify it wasn't a friendly.  Same thing happened a few minutes later after I re-spawned...so I'm sorry about that, pretty fail on my part.  The 3 km walk was excessive.  There were trucks around that should have been able to be used for that purpose, but were locked.

Securing Falta - I died in this one about halfway through as well..caught a random bullet to the face (that happens to me a lot... Sad ), and as Alwarren mentioned, yes, it was very chaotic because we started so close to the objective and in the beginning there was a "scripted" event where a gunship was under fire and exploded, so I think it put everyone on edge right from the get-go.  Watching that one AI as an observer after I died was hilarious...run around, go prone, see enemy, shoot at ground, run around some trees...LOL.

Saboteur - I believe the objective for this is to just destroy the helicopters, right?  If so, I guess it is best if we sneak around to the copters and plant charges.  IF we can do it without having to lure the enemies away first, all the better, but once that alarm goes of you have 30+ guys swarming that camp instantly.  Fun mission indeed but I think for a direct approach the sheer number of enemies that appear/spawn/whatever they do from those little buildings prevents that from being viable.

Pilot Rescue - I agree, very nice mission and was happy to lead since we only had 4 people total.  Tongue  I think I may have been a bit reckless, but with no NVs and everyone having silenced weapons with thermal scopes, taking out the camp was pretty straightforward.  If we had stuck around for the counter attack we would have been destroyed by that APC, but luckily we made it out before it could find us.  Nice mission with the snow effect.

One thing I would note as a potential bug in that mission is that the pilot was crouched 90% of the time after we rescued him, regardless of what you told him to do.  It really slowed us down and could have resulted in our death if the APC had hunted us longer.

Operation Hush
Good job freeman on taking out the Ifrit, it was pinning sandbox and I down. If we had our heads up we'd be toast. A couple CSAT guys sneaking around, but it was quite easy overall. 3 km walk was way too far of a walk for extraction. Author should've unlocked the trucks plus its quite buggy.

Securing Falta
I got shot in the face as the leader. Looks like I got the memo wrong and that east was actually enemies we had to face, not friendly assets... I prefer having briefings just in case I get the wrong idea. I assume you guys finish it up pretty well.

Note on extraction: I think that if the extractions from now on is too excessively long without any action or combat to go through on the way (long excessive extraction without a purpose), I think we should just call it quits and complete.
Good games, despite the problems, although I agree with Phantom that we should have aborted Operation Hush much sooner, it was tedious enough for those still alive, let alone those who had died and were waiting. Actually, they probably had more fun as they could check their e-mail or clean the fluff out of their belly buttons  Wink ;D

It's tricky making a decision, as you never know if there's going to be a trigger that makes some enemies appear, so even if the Admin checks and can't see any enemies left we can't be sure. Testing the mission in advance won't pick this sort of thing up either, as we can only really check the mission loads, has tasks/briefing and isn't obviously screwed up at the start. So I suggest that in future if we have a long walk, it appears there's no enemies left and we've given it 5 minutes and nothing's changed, end the mission.

Securing Falta

This threw us right into the thick of it, which was a nice counterbalance after Operation Hush actually. Unfortunately, the Hunter I was driving got taken out by armour before I could get out of sight. I probably should have just reversed rather than try and turn around but I was worried that the rest of the squad might be behind me and I'd run you over! After I respawned and became part of Team Green, we did OK providing recon on the vehicles movement for the other team whilst they advanced but we had some enemies behind us, to the W or NW which we couldn't see and which were taking occassional potshots at us. Once we got inside the gate and went up the tower, we took fire from the enemy vehicles, which reduced us to two men and then when we came down we lost another, I think to those enemies to the W or NW. Anyway, we made it to the base after that (thanks no doubt to the incompetent AI that Maverick was watching) and cleared it out and completed our mission.

Saboteur

Well, we coordinated nicely to clear out the first camp but once we advanced on the main base, as usual we got spotted (probably by the guy in the tower, if only we could snipe him without raising the alarm) and then swatted like flies by the insane amount of AI. As leader, I decided to ignore the vehicles on the road as they weren't a threat to us but perhaps a different approach would be to go right at the junction (in which case we probably will need to take out any vehicles using that road), move up to the shore and then try and sneak around to come in by the helos and blow them up quickly before escaping back north. I think there might be some enemies to the north but they might be easy to evade on the way in, when the base hasn't been alerted. Alwarren's suggestion to lure the enemy out of the base to allow a couple of guys to sneak in and take out the helos sounds like it might work as well.

Pilot Rescue

Very nice mission and nicely led by Maverick. There was just enough enemies to keep us on our toes and checking around us and it was great to end the night with a successful mission Smile Regarding the crouched pilot, it seemed like he only stood up once we got out of the trees. Maybe he had delusions about being very tall (these pilots are quite vain) and banging his head on a branch  ;D Perhaps if we play it again, we can try giving him a pistol and see if that makes him more confident.
(06-09-2014, 04:49 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Note on extraction: I think that if the extractions from now on is too excessively long without any action or combat to go through on the way (long excessive extraction without a purpose), I think we should just call it quits and complete.

How do you measure that? If the mission spawns in enemies, then it is impossible to say. There might have been a radio message after 100 meters saying "we have a new target for you". I don't like the thought of cancelling missions.
(06-09-2014, 01:30 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:How do you measure that? If the mission spawns in enemies, then it is impossible to say. There might have been a radio message after 100 meters saying "we have a new target for you". I don't like the thought of cancelling missions.

Sure it's not easy to call but when you've got a mission like that, where all the vehicles are locked, you've got miles to walk and you've been walking for 5 minutes with no sign of any enemy, it's probably safe to say it's a waste of time to keep walking for another 20 minutes. If there are enemies that spawn, the mission maker should at least give an indication in the briefing, something like 'there are patrols between x and extraction point, so be careful' to give you some hope that there'll be something to do other than walking.
I'm also weary about ending missions prematurely. And this is coming from the guy who walked the whole way only to be killed by a door. But yes some times it seems unnecessary. If only there was a way to tell