Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You don't hear me because I use 5-5 to report my status. I used the radio when I saw that you went to evac position.
(03-29-2014, 12:23 AM)Horus link Wrote:You don't hear me because I use 5-5 to report my status. I used the radio when I saw that you went to evac position.

Ah, okay...well, I would probably rather have someone say "Bleeding" or something over the TFA radio rather than radio status since usually there is a lot going on with the ArmA in-game radio at all times, like AI yelling, team leader yelling "Return to Formation", etc.

I assume since you are not actually dead, using the radio is not breaking immersion, correct?  I guess you could argue being incapacitated/unconscious...

Not sure how anyone else feels about that.
I don't see a problem with radioing for help when you're down, as you can still see around you so you're not unconscious and if you were you couldn't use Report Status either, so I agree that it's better to use the radio as people are more likely to hear it, especially if they're using the TS3 Volume Control plugin to lower the game volume when someone's talking on the radio.

Maybe Horus was trying to use local voice instead of the SR when I saw him triggering TS but we didn't hear him as we were too far away to hear local voice?
(03-29-2014, 12:23 AM)Horus link Wrote:You don't hear me because I use 5-5 to report my status. I used the radio when I saw that you went to evac position.
Why the hell did you do that?! When you are down, make sure the leader knows you are down using the RADIO!
That sheds light on a general, serious problem we have on coop night. People do not communicate enough, or do not communicate at all. The heart of coop is COMMUNICATION! use it! All the time! Feedback your leader, let him know with every development that is relevant for the situation, not only when you are down, but also when you are falling behind, also when you are low on ammo, repeat his orders and let him know you have completed them. These are just examples, of course. Usually the channel is filled almost solely with the leader's commands and that's SAD! Make no mistakes, that leads to our failure a lot of times, including that particular mission.
Seconded on everything Variable said. Sometimes being the leader feels like playing single player, you feel like you are taking to a wall because nobody seems to communicate...
(03-29-2014, 09:55 AM)Variable link Wrote:....
That sheds light on a general, serious problem we have on coop night. People do not communicate enough, or do not communicate at all. The heart of coop is COMMUNICATION! ......
Sorry but I'm not guy who not communicate. In A2 definitely. In A3 I still learning to use TFA radio because I don't play A3 that much.
(03-29-2014, 09:55 AM)Variable link Wrote:The heart of coop is COMMUNICATION! use it! All the time! Feedback your leader, let him know with every development that is relevant for the situation, not only when you are down, but also when you are falling behind, also when you are low on ammo, repeat his orders and let him know you have completed them. These are just examples, of course. Usually the channel is filled almost solely with the leader's commands and that's SAD! Make no mistakes, that leads to our failure a lot of times, including that particular mission.

Can't disagree with any of that. I know I wasn't communicating as well as I normally do (or try to at least) on Thursday as I was rather stressed and mentally exhausted from studying legal papers all day, not to mention my PC deciding to be a pain in the arse and having to faff about sorting it out before I could get A3 to launch with all the mods, so I can only apologise for that.

I guess sometimes players are communicating locally in their fireteams, which the squad leader won't hear if he's not nearby and would give him the impression no-one is communicating with each other and in those situations, people probably expect the fireteam leader to be radioing the squad leader when necessary and that they shouldn't be doing so as well.

I have to say that I often don't get a response when I radio stuff in, such as contact reports, so I have to keep repeating it to make sure it's been received and then I feel I'm going to risk annoying people by clogging up the channel with information they've already heard. It also means I have to stay in that position (or at least nearby) to repeat the report, even if there's no other reason for me to stay there and I'd be more useful somewhere else. A quick "acknowledged" is all that's required to let the person know the leader's received their message and appreciates it and this encourages players to communicate, whereas no reply or "yeah, already seen" makes them feel like they're wasting their time.

I know my current mic isn't very good quality but it seems people can hear and understand me most of the time, so I don't think that's the problem, although I am planning to get a better one.  I know sometimes the leader will be busy talking on the LR when players radio in stuff on the SR but the leaders are generally good at calling "break" when that happens to let the players know they're busy, so I don't think that's the problem either.
Ok, I will try my best not to miss any reports and respond to them all, I wasn't aware there's an issue there.

And next time, if anyone is having difficulties with communications, please use the text chat.
(03-29-2014, 08:01 PM)Variable link Wrote:Ok, I will try my best not to miss any reports and respond to them all, I wasn't aware there's an issue there.

And next time, if anyone is having difficulties with communications, please use the text chat.

I think Whisper keys should still work, too.
I want to ask something about missions with revive, the kind that won't let you die, unless you bleed out or all the team is down.

Do you rather that, or no script at all? So when you are hit - that's it?
I personally prefer revive, even if you can only die by bleeding out, although that's probably because I tend to be the first to get shot and so the missions wouldn't last very long for me otherwise Wink

I seem to recall we've used a different revive in the past where in some cases you get injured and there's a chance of healing you but other times you get killed outright, which seems better, or maybe I'm getting confused with ArmA2.

The revive we've been using does seem a bit OTT and unrealistic in that you can be revived almost no matter how badly you've been shot or blown up but maybe there's no alternative at the moment.

That script is good for long missions when we have ~10 or more tasks. In missions with lower than 10 I don't like.
Just to remind everybody that "WE" are not a factor here as long as we play public missions. In this case we are at the mercy of the mission maker. We can either play or not play his missions, whatever scripts he uses, but if we don't like them, we can only skip the mission and not play it at all.
If mission is good can we edit mission and take out that script?
(03-30-2014, 01:54 PM)Horus link Wrote:If mission is good can we edit mission and take out that script?
What time allows me to do is disable respawn on BTC revive missions that has respawn enabled. But that's it.
If people are willing to help, they can replace revive scripts with Psycho's revive script which is based on Arma 2's First Aid system which I assume we all prefer.