Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There was some major glitching going on in Operation Broken Archer...I saw at least two enemies clipping through the walls of buildings and actually effectively firing out at us while in spectator view.  One guy was prone up in a tower firing through the wall, and the other guy was just standing there inside of a ground building.

Of course this is not the mission's fault, just an ArmA thing.
Armed Assault Battle of Somato
Nice battle, loads of tanks. Nice defense.

Armed Assault Dawn of Hope
The assault against the enemy camp was spot on although allied stryker doesn't have a specific path of travel, its harder to move out of its way while its running you over (I still felt a bit stupid about that, didn't see or hear it coming).

Lots of armor while ambushing the convoy. The mines came in handy for the stragglers. I placed them quick and made a run for it since you guys told me the convoy was on its way. After only 4 of us were left, I decided to attack the town in the South first instead and bombard it with MK19 grenades, then go in, refill the cars, and grab some AT weapons to finish off the leftover attack. If the BTRs were manned and shooting, I'd probably order drive away instead, but that wasn't the case, so safest bet was bombard the base.
(03-26-2014, 03:18 AM)Phantom link Wrote:
Armed Assault Dawn of Hope

The assault against the enemy camp was spot on although allied stryker doesn't have a specific path of travel, its harder to move out of its way while its running you over (I still felt a bit stupid about that, didn't see or hear it coming).

Lots of armor while ambushing the convoy. The mines came in handy for the stragglers. I placed them quick and made a run for it since you guys told me the convoy was on its way. After only 4 of us were left, I decided to attack the town in the South first instead and bombard it with MK19 grenades, then go in, refill the cars, and grab some AT weapons to finish off the leftover attack. If the BTRs were manned and shooting, I'd probably order drive away instead, but that wasn't the case, so safest bet was bombard the base.
You were the star of the evening Phantom. First by taking the initiative to take the risk and plant AT mines on the road before bugging out and later by taking command and fulfilling the mission. That's what we call here "mission devotion". Awesome job man.
(03-21-2014, 02:13 PM)Variable link Wrote:Wraith recon campaign, episode 3:
I really liked it. The mission punished us twice. On the first attempt for not keeping on moving when facing an armoured platoon.  At the second attempt for not checking our backs and not realising fast enough that we have enemies that close and at an unexpected direction. I really have no problem with that type of revive that doesn't let you die from a headshot, as long as the mission Is designed with that in mind, like this mission was. Sure, it's a bit of an immersion killer, but that mission in particular compensated for it by being fast paced and eventful. Really, the only damage it did was extending the end of us part by two more minutes. I'd say it's definitely worth it, and I would really like to try to beat that one, if no one objects.

Late answer, but here goes:

I found the mission itself to be a bit too over the top, the opposition was a bit too much for the team size. The author tried to compensate this with the revive option, and therein lies, for me, the biggest problem with the mission: I have nothing against revive per se, but this is just over the top: You basically can't die at all. I saw one of our guys being pounded by a machine gun, blood spraying all over the place, and he just went on his back and yelled "Medic". You can not die with this script, not even from a headshot, not even when receiving an amount of damage that is beyond what a tank can receive without getting ripped apart.

For me, this mission was without any immersion, and in the end was just boring and even enraging, because you got up, got shot, got up, got shot over and over again.
Office Complex

I don't know much to say besides terrorist hunt and my overcustomization of the mission. Been a while since I came back to Arma 3 and lead so I forgot how the whole radio thing works sometimes, but I got it.

Blue Line to Therisa

Sweeping the town went fine but after Varanon and Variable died, it seems a bit chaotic a bit. I thought you guys said the mission was restarting since something broke or something, or are we still going. Seems like all leaders die except me so I'll go on leading I guess but my head was already boiling a bit since about the whole time was dealing with radio problems and I got to be somewhere sooner or later (so I didn't see those mines and there I went). The approach of left right and attack middle was good I say, but I'll start to name pet peeves I have...

Revive System: Honestly, I find these revive rubbish. Get blown by a satchel or blast by tank, you're still alive. Headshot a matter of fact. Medic's gone but the shot wasn't fatal enough, you're on the floor bleeding to death. I honestly believe a normal infantry should be able to at least stop your wounds and stabilize you (this is why I prefer Psycho's system even though I thought those CROSSROAD: _GUY is down message are annoying as well but its closest to ok). Medic's gone = well, that's that. 

Task Force Arrowhead Radio: Too much of a hassle with people and radio problems I find it more counterproduct in terms of communications. I find more miscommunication than commnication from it. If someone paradrop instead, wouldn't they have no long range radio? Underwater = no long range radio either? By default I didn't start on the same radio channel for long range as anyone else either, but that's not the problem. The problem I'm saying would be some people in my squad didn't have a radio to start with so they can't hear anything. What if a mission isn't design around it. I found that about half of the time was setting radios or seeing if the radios are going. I guess I'm a bit more hotheaded about it since I had to be somewhere today, but other than that, I find it an issue bit.
(03-26-2014, 12:41 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Late answer, but here goes:

I found the mission itself to be a bit too over the top, the opposition was a bit too much for the team size. The author tried to compensate this with the revive option, and therein lies, for me, the biggest problem with the mission: I have nothing against revive per se, but this is just over the top: You basically can't die at all. I saw one of our guys being pounded by a machine gun, blood spraying all over the place, and he just went on his back and yelled "Medic". You can not die with this script, not even from a headshot, not even when receiving an amount of damage that is beyond what a tank can receive without getting ripped apart.

For me, this mission was without any immersion, and in the end was just boring and even enraging, because you got up, got shot, got up, got shot over and over again.

We tried it tonight after most people left...damn near completed it, but I agree it is a LOT to deal with.  We were mostly just trying to run for the evac point and take cover from the overwhelming enemy force.  Not nearly enough AT to deal with all of the armor, especially when our single AT guy got killed far away from us.

I liked the sense of epic battle, but it was a lot for 8 people or whatever...I think in the end we only had 6 or so.  Also got a fair bit of lag in that mission, probably just because a lot was going on...wasn't great but it wasn't unplayable, either.
(03-28-2014, 04:56 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Blue Line to Therisa

Sweeping the town went fine but after Varanon and Variable died, it seems a bit chaotic a bit. I thought you guys said the mission was restarting since something broke or something, or are we still going. Seems like all leaders die except me so I'll go on leading I guess but my head was already boiling a bit since about the whole time was dealing with radio problems and I got to be somewhere sooner or later (so I didn't see those mines and there I went). The approach of left right and attack middle was good I say, but I'll start to name pet peeves I have...

Task Force Arrowhead Radio: Too much of a hassle with people and radio problems I find it more counterproduct in terms of communications. I find more miscommunication than commnication from it. If someone paradrop instead, wouldn't they have no long range radio? Underwater = no long range radio either? By default I didn't start on the same radio channel for long range as anyone else either, but that's not the problem. The problem I'm saying would be some people in my squad didn't have a radio to start with so they can't hear anything. What if a mission isn't design around it. I found that about half of the time was setting radios or seeing if the radios are going. I guess I'm a bit more hotheaded about it since I had to be somewhere today, but other than that, I find it an issue bit.

Yeah, it was a bit chaotic with the radios but it's not usually like that and I think it's just a matter of people getting used to how to use them. I've mostly only used the SR before so I know how to set frequencies on that but in this mission after my team leader was killed, I took his LR and thought everyone was trying to help me set the frequency on that, whereas they all thought I was asking how to set the frequency on the SR, so that made things confusing.

In fact, I never did work out how to set the LR. I tried everything I could think of and was able to clear the existing frequency and type in a new one but whatever I clicked/pressed next, when I closed and re-opened the radio it was back on the previous frequency again.

I'm not sure what determines whether someone starts with a SR or not. Certainly missions don't have to be designed specifically for it, as if that was the case we wouldn't get radios in most missions but I do remember missions where only the team leaders have had LR and there's been no SR, so I don't know what causes that.
(03-28-2014, 05:45 AM)MavericK link Wrote:We tried it tonight after most people left...damn near completed it, but I agree it is a LOT to deal with.  We were mostly just trying to run for the evac point and take cover from the overwhelming enemy force.  Not nearly enough AT to deal with all of the armor, especially when our single AT guy got killed far away from us.

I liked the sense of epic battle, but it was a lot for 8 people or whatever...I think in the end we only had 6 or so.  Also got a fair bit of lag in that mission, probably just because a lot was going on...wasn't great but it wasn't unplayable, either.

Yeah, it does seem like the only thing to do is run for it. There's enough enemies on the way to the evac point to deal with anyway, without trying to deal with all the armour and infantry on the hill behind us. The only problem with that is I don't think there's enough cover on the way to the evac to shield us from fire from the hill, so perhaps we have to take out the main threats there before we try and escape but then again, maybe we could get far enough away before they get into position, as I think a lot of the tanks/APCs only turn up a bit into the mission.
(03-28-2014, 04:56 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Task Force Arrowhead Radio: Too much of a hassle with people and radio problems I find it more counterproduct in terms of communications. I find more miscommunication than commnication from it. If someone paradrop instead, wouldn't they have no long range radio? Underwater = no long range radio either? By default I didn't start on the same radio channel for long range as anyone else either, but that's not the problem. The problem I'm saying would be some people in my squad didn't have a radio to start with so they can't hear anything. What if a mission isn't design around it. I found that about half of the time was setting radios or seeing if the radios are going. I guess I'm a bit more hotheaded about it since I had to be somewhere today, but other than that, I find it an issue bit.

Objection.
The issue isn't TFA, it's the people that don't know how to use it. What we should consider is writing a short "How to" guide on how to use it.

Yes, it makes communication more difficult. So do enemies. Yet, we don't want to remove enemies either. TFA adds an additional layer of realism, and if we want to change anything, we should educate players on its usage more.
Phantom I suggest you give it another chance before you form an opinion on it. Last night was not the best game ever, missions were a bit broken and people had to learn how to use it on the fly. I'm certain you'll be able to enjoy it now that you are more proficient with it. In case we don't have SR radios we need just to switch to yelling and stay close. That's how most of the soldiers communicate anyway, look at it as an opportunity.
Office Complex

I enjoyed this mission, kept us on our toes with the enemies attacking us from various directions. It's tricky sometimes going up the stairs in those office blocks without getting shot by someone lurking in a corner, as those wide open staircases leave you very exposed but that's half the fun, trying to get sight of the enemy and get an angle on him before he takes you out and he's naturally going to have an advantage if he's lying there watching for anyone coming up the staircase. Maybe we need to try throwing frags when we're half-way up, before the enemy can see us, but it's not easy to get an angle to throw them into the area that's furthest from the windows, where the enemies tend to be.

I saw one enemy clipping through the wall (and firing at us) on the ground floor, so we knew he was there which made it rather too easy to go in and kill him but apart from that I didn't notice any problems.
(03-28-2014, 01:31 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Objection.
The issue isn't TFA, it's the people that don't know how to use it. What we should consider is writing a short "How to" guide on how to use it.

Yes, it makes communication more difficult. So do enemies. Yet, we don't want to remove enemies either. TFA adds an additional layer of realism, and if we want to change anything, we should educate players on its usage more.

I just had another look at the guide here http://radio.task-force.ru/en/ and it does explain how to set the frequency on the RT-1523G (ASIP) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exelis...-1523E.jpg which was the one I picked up  (click Menu CLR, enter the Frequency and click Freq), although I'm sure I tried that but at least next time I'll know the correct procedure and won't need to be clicking everything trying to get it to work!

Probably that and the SR AN/PRC-152 (click CLR, type the freq on the numpad and click ENT) are the main radios we're likely to have, so if everyone reads the guide and learns what they look like and how to set them, we should be OK but if anyone's noticed any others that we get quite often, let us know so that we can familiarise ourselves with those as well.
(03-28-2014, 02:16 PM)doveman link Wrote:Probably that and the SR AN/PRC-152 (click CLR, type the freq on the numpad and click ENT) are the main radios we're likely to have, so if everyone reads the guide and learns what they look like and how to set them, we should be OK but if anyone's noticed any others that we get quite often, let us know so that we can familiarise ourselves with those as well.

Agreed.
(03-28-2014, 01:37 PM)Variable link Wrote:In case we don't have SR radios we need just to switch to yelling and stay close. That's how most of the soldiers communicate anyway, look at it as an opportunity.

Yeah, on yelling voices travel pretty far anyway, so it's not too tricky to use that if need be and as long as everyone stays fairly close. If we're spread out a bit, in a line or column and not everyone can hear the leader, we just need to pass orders down the line.
When we were playing Wraith Recon Mission 3, it seemed like there were issues with the radios outside of just not knowing how to use it.  Like when Horus went down, none of us heard him say anything until much later, when doveman noticed he was trying to talk on TS but no one could hear him.  By the time we finally did hear him on the radio, it was too late to save him.  It also seemed like there were periods where I couldn't hear anyone over the radio but it seemed like there should have been chatter.

So I don't know if it was a TS issue, a TFA issue, or possibly just user error, but if TFA is causing communication problems not related to knowing how to use the addon or not, that is a big issue.  That may not be the case, but I guess we just need to keep an eye on it and make sure there aren't bugs occurring.