Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-14-2014, 09:27 PM)ck-claw link Wrote:Wondered where ya been buddy, was only gonna message you on steam and hey presto you hop on TS-was great to see ya back!  8)

It was great to see you too Jason!

But I'm going to disappear for some time again, for about 15 days. However my holidays are fast approaching which should allow me get back into the fray more often.

Best regards,

Steal the Bomb
Finally made it! Loved that mission. Good leading on this one. One comment though- leaders should avoid keeping guys at the back with an extended "wait here" task, even if this is tactically wise to do it. The leader is also in charge of the enjoyment of all players. In that particular case the guys that were left behind in the Ifrit could have even provide over watch on the base from a safe distance, provide observation and even lay down suppressive fire if the covert team would have been detected.

All in all good job everyone, I hope I'll have a video of this mission soon. It will be awesome! Especially the trick getaway.
Personally I still enjoyed that mission a lot as we got some action later on and I didn't really mind waiting in the Ifrit, although I was chatting to ck to pass the time and I can see that it might have been more fun for everyone if we'd been tasked to overwatch as you suggest.

It was a bit annoying having no radio comms with the rest of the squad (I guess we just need to make sure that at least one person in the Ifrit gets one of the radios before setting off) but I think in the situation working around this with text messages was perfectly legitimate and at some point ck got a radio from somewhere anyway and he had fun being the RTO after that.
Right, that was the other thing I wanted to comment about. With the lack of sufficient radios to all, when splitting up, better assign at least one radio to each element. Having to revert to text messages is a bit immersion breaking.
(02-16-2014, 12:01 PM)Variable link Wrote:In that particular case the guys that were left behind in the Ifrit could have even provide over watch on the base from a safe distance, provide observation and even lay down suppressive fire if the covert team would have been detected.

Well the idea was to have them as backup, but mobile. If I had left them away from the iffrit, the getaway could have been painful. I agree that it wasn't enjoyable to sit around, but I think it could have been disastrous otherwise. As it turned out, the getaway was pretty hot.

About the radios, I agree, it was a bad call. I do also think that unless we lost a radio because of game-mechanical , we shouldn't go back to using team chat. We introduced TFA to add an extra layer of realism. Losing the LRR is part of it, although I still find it shite that the radio is a backpack.
(02-16-2014, 01:27 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:About the radios, I agree, it was a bad call. I do also think that unless we lost a radio because of game-mechanical , we shouldn't go back to using team chat. We introduced TFA to add an extra layer of realism. Losing the LRR is part of it, although I still find it shite that the radio is a backpack.

Was it the lack of LRR, rather than not distributing what SRR we had properly, that was the problem?

I agree we shouldn't get in the habit of using team chat. When I say I felt it was OK in that particular situation to use it, I was thinking a) it wasn't the mission designer's intention that we shouldn't have SRR to communicate with and b) if we hadn't used team chat, we probably would have had to abort/restart the mission as there was no other way for the leader to tell the Ifrit squad what to do. I guess if the first squad was coming back towards the Ifrit we could have just waited till then for instructions, or the leader could have sent one person back to give us orders (not sure there were any spare seats in the Ifrit but I guess he could have driven the truck back with us).

So that's something to think about for the future, if we find ourselves in a similar situation, do we think we should use team chat or rely on finding some way to get someone back to pass on orders? Or perhaps we should have pre-arranged something like "After 5 minutes, proceed along this route to this RP and wait for us there". Might have been a long wait if you'd all got killed before you got there though Wink

Obviously, if too many people have died and the mission's no longer viable, communicating that via TS or text before ending the mission is fine but it's nice if there's a chance for the remaining squad to complete the mission to give them the opportunity to try, so perhaps the orders would need to be along the lines of "After 5 minutes, proceed along this route to this RP and wait for us there. If we're not there by 18:25, proceed with the mission on your own".

I'm probably overthinking it though, as I can't think of any other missions where we've been unable to communicate like that Smile
(02-16-2014, 04:09 PM)doveman link Wrote:Was it the lack of LRR, rather than not distributing what SRR we had properly, that was the problem?

Yeah, the LRR was just an example Smile

Quote:if we hadn't used team chat, we probably would have had to abort/restart the mission as there was no other way for the leader to tell the Ifrit squad what to do.

Sure, it was an oversight on my part because I didn't give instructions and didn't leave the group with a radio.

Quote:So that's something to think about for the future, if we find ourselves in a similar situation, do we think we should use team chat or rely on finding some way to get someone back to pass on orders? Or perhaps we should have pre-arranged something like "After 5 minutes, proceed along this route to this RP and wait for us there". Might have been a long wait if you'd all got killed before you got there though Wink

I'd say pre-arranged would have been the solution. I didn't really expect, though, to walk in there without getting challenged. But I'd love to see a situation when we have to communicate with flares, for example Smile

Quote:I'm probably overthinking it though, as I can't think of any other missions where we've been unable to communicate like that Smile

Well, every mission in which a group leader gets killed. You have to pick up the radio, or you're no longer able to communicate Smile
Well tbh i dont think anything needs to change.
Its was only that mission that had the issue, improvise/adapt/overcome  Wink
Me Doveman etc felt very isolated, i remember asking what the hell we gonna do now??
No communication with the rest of the team!
Then i found the radio-the minute i picked it up ,instantly heard friendly voices and ask for orders!
Was such a great feeling of relief  8)

Edit:-

Another +10 for TaskForce Arrowhead Radio system  Smile
Premier in Theater

Nice job on taking down that hind. I was wondering if it was going for the land and pilots going to hop out, would it be possible to use its guns for a bit?

Trade Secret

Too much enemies in the base for 6 men.

Day of Napa

I honestly felt that this would have gone much better. Outlawz getting shot with the satchel was unlucky, but we lost another (Stick while healing the stupid as hell AI), and I was getting old of the vehicle because of a firefight so I got a little wounded as well (couldn't steady my rifle anymore), but can't do anything about it because there's no medic. This would have never happened if the AI would get the hell in the car and we could've just drove off. I think if there's no time, best ditch the AI and let him fend for himself, since he's going to cost 1 death or another anyways, might as well be someone who's worth less.
The stolen BMP at the end maybe having 1 more guy get inside it and stay by it would've been better so we won't get flanked from behind. I mostly blame the mess on the retarded AI after freeman lost connection.

Fuel

Yay, we beat it. Good thing we manage to push through to the base in time to hold off there. I think we got pretty much everyone while we took cover at the base while AI was crawling in one by one. Since they use UPSMON, pretty much the whole army was on their way to us. Have we stay in the forest, we'd be at a disadvantage of not being able to see the AI. Pushing along and forward through the shore was a good idea for the situation.

OVERALL AI PERFORMANCE:

AI at 0.625 yes? I think this is probably a perfect number. We still get kill and they're not shooting at us unfairly. Not sure up or down or leave it, but I don't know an easy mission being too easy yet with this.
Yeah, 0.625 feels pretty good.  Last session I played (last Sunday I guess) felt a little easy, but today felt pretty spot-on, so it might just depend on the mission.

Do the AI have slightly differing skill based on what role they are in?  For instance, is a Spec Op better than a normal Rifleman?  That might explain some of the variation as well.
If I'm correct, there's a setting in ASR AI that gives higher skills to spec ops units compare to lowly guerilla grunts. Armed civilians have the lowest skill if I recall while special forces SpecOps and Spetsnaz have highest.
A2RW_Rua

That mission is a bugger. No idea what to do with it, I stuck out my head and was shot, as was Varanon before me.

Span of Attention[

I liked the mission in spite of the length. Very well executed and very good leadership. Not much to say, this was textbook.

Grab Bag

Nice firefights, very intense. Good job everyone, great leaders... oh wait, that was me... Big Grin

One thing though... Never ever go off on your own. I can understand that everybody was a bit tired of searching buildings, but

- Going off on your own risks you being shot, and either someone needs to come to pull you out of the fire, or you are just dead.
- Going Rambo is likely to get you shot since you are so far away from the team that you can easily be mistaken by an enemy.
- Your leader assumes that you stick with the team. Going off is a direct violation of the team leaders order, and can not be tolerated.
(02-19-2014, 02:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:A2RW_Rua

That mission is a bugger. No idea what to do with it, I stuck out my head and was shot, as was Varanon before me.
Can someone open it up, and check if taking out the radar should be enough to complete the "Disable or destroy AA battery" task? I'm pretty sure it should, and that the AA site itself is designed to be a death trap. Maybe just a little fix and it's a great mission! Nice firefights though, I might make a video for it.

(02-19-2014, 02:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Span of Attention[
I liked the mission in spite of the length. Very well executed and very good leadership. Not much to say, this was textbook.
Yep. It was a good ride. I like driving around between separate objectives.

(02-19-2014, 02:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Grab Bag
Nice firefights, very intense. Good job everyone, great leaders... oh wait, that was me... Big Grin
Good job!

-------

One thing that came up while working on footage taken during coop night. In several cases leaders suddenly order "open fire", before some of us were ready (firing from a covert position). If undetected, take some more time assigning targets and allow some more time to set up before opening fire.
(02-19-2014, 02:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Span of Attention

Thanks. I actually enjoyed leading on this one. It's always much more enjoyable if you have less people to worry about. Six is just enough, more will just make things hard to manage.

I think the idea of assigning team colors at the very beginning and subsequently only commanding teams instead of individual people worked quite well on this one.
(02-19-2014, 02:08 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:A2RW_Rua

As was I before him! I just got unlucky taking the left side there I think and had no idea where I got shot from. I should have stayed down rather than try and crawl to safety though, as then the rest of you might have been able to neutralise the threat and save me.

Quote:Span of Attention[

Agreed. Sorry about the cock-up with suppressing at the bridge Variable. I honestly thought if I fired up from the low position I was in, all I'd hit is the side of the bank or the bullets would just go up in the air and neither would do much good to suppress anyone, so I thought perhaps I wasn't in the position you wanted me to be in but I should have communicated this better and just fired from there if you confirmed that's what you wanted.

As a general point, please if anyone gets lost and you don't know where your squad is, let them know as soon as you realise so that they can wait or come find you. There's no shame in getting lost (and I'm not just saying that because it happens to me a lot!) but if you don't tell us ASAP, it makes it that much harder to regroup and wastes time that could give the enemy an advantage.

Quote:Grab Bag

It was a nice mission for the most part and well led but I think everyone agreed that searching the buildings for those bags was a pain and made the mission stretch out a lot longer. I don't think anyone was waiting to join but for some people it was their first mission of the night and they'd had to wait a long time while we finished the previous one, so perhaps we should have picked a quicker mission so that we could have let them play 2 or 3 before most people had to sign off for the night but probably no-one knew it would turn out like it did anyway. I see a few people stayed on for a couple more missions though but even so, maybe it would have been nice if they could have played with a larger group.