Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About Carrier Corruption. During my testing, I manage to steal the keys and eliminate everyone aboard the carrier with the chopper. Chopper should be nearby so easy to steal once you get the keys. Just hug the walls. You guys managed to get the choppers and then head on to attack the base?
(09-24-2013, 06:59 AM)Phantom link Wrote:About Carrier Corruption. During my testing, I manage to steal the keys and eliminate everyone aboard the carrier with the chopper. Chopper should be nearby so easy to steal once you get the keys. Just hug the walls. You guys managed to get the choppers and then head on to attack the base?
Yes, once we realized the keys are on the flight deck level getting the choppers is not hard. I just hope we can easily kill all the guys from the air.
I like this mission, it's refreshing and special. I also very like the idea of stealing aircraft and using them against the enemy Smile
(09-24-2013, 08:00 AM)Variable link Wrote:Yes, once we realized the keys are on the flight deck level getting the choppers is not hard. I just hope we can easily kill all the guys from the air.
I like this mission, it's refreshing and special. I also very like the idea of stealing aircraft and using them against the enemy Smile
That's the whole purpose Tongue kill those guys, grab the keys, and take them out from the air. I was inspired by who dares flies for this one.
(09-24-2013, 06:59 AM)Phantom link Wrote:About Carrier Corruption. During my testing, I manage to steal the keys and eliminate everyone aboard the carrier with the chopper. Chopper should be nearby so easy to steal once you get the keys. Just hug the walls. You guys managed to get the choppers and then head on to attack the base?

Problem for me with this type of mission - Arma cannot handle them. The AI will glitch through walls and floors, and whatever you do, however easy you make it, it's always unfair towards the players.
(09-24-2013, 11:18 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Problem for me with this type of mission - Arma cannot handle them. The AI will glitch through walls and floors, and whatever you do, however easy you make it, it's always unfair towards the players.
Sometimes I just want to make something out of he ordinary and forget the drawbacks. I did manage to wipe them out with chopper on my testings. I guess sometimes there's those glitch in wall issues but I've been successful in my tries so far.
(09-24-2013, 06:41 PM)Phantom link Wrote:Sometimes I just want to make something out of he ordinary and forget the drawbacks. I did manage to wipe them out with chopper on my testings. I guess sometimes there's those glitch in wall issues but I've been successful in my tries so far.

Don't get me wrong, Phantom. I like it if a mission is out of the ordinary. The problem is really with Arma. I mean, just look at the average Sander mission with guys in windows lying down and glitching, or the usual case of guard towers when the guys go prone and can still shoot you.

In the case of Carrier Corruption, I remember playing it once and getting shot by a guy that was on top of the carrier's tower, shooting me through the floor. It just feels unfair to die like this, and you invariably feel frustrated. It's not so much a matter of managing to do it or not. For me, it destroys the immersion if I know that I have to stay in a small corridor because that's where their glitching doesn't work, or, as in Sander's missions, looking for the house that has a gun sticking out of the wall.

It's not the mission's fault. It's Arma's fault, because after ten effing years they still can't do a convincing AI.
Let us not forget that in carrier corruption we don't have to fight these guys, but instead use the gunships.
(09-24-2013, 07:05 PM)Variable link Wrote:Let us not forget that in carrier corruption we don't have to fight these guys, but instead use the gunships.

The only guys I intend on the players to kill are the pilot and the officer inside the room. The I expected to be shredded by gunships. I managed to do it during testing with Maverick.
(09-25-2013, 05:56 AM)Phantom link Wrote:The only guys I intend on the players to kill are the pilot and the officer inside the room. The I expected to be shredded by gunships. I managed to do it during testing with Maverick.

Yeah, this works, unless, as I saw, one of the crew on top tries to walk inside a wall, half disappearing inside.

Also, I would like to remark that in general, I find objectives like "kill everyone" rather two-edged. It works if you need to take control of an area, but if you are just stealing something and subsequently bug out, there's no need to do so. It works in this case if the motivation of the attack is, for example, sending a message or similar. But in general, it's hard to find a valid justification, especially when the players are military instead of, say,  guerillias.

Truck Stop Road: I like this mission, too bad the enemy decided that they won't allow us to rescue the KSK officer and killed him, twice! Tactically, I think we've found a good position to lay the ambush. The use of two elements proved to be optimal as well; support element, positioned to the right on an hillock, with long range optics to eliminate point threats such as enemy crew served weapons with heavy MG  and sniper fire, along with a main block element to prevent any vehicle to slip by.
Phantom, can the enemy somehow be prevented from shooting the hostage (a believable behavior actually, but makes the mission quite impossible).

Nocturnal Raid: loved it. I was a bit disappointed that we had to use NVG all the way through it. As it was 7am, I thought it was about to be more lighted. We need to think what could be done to avoid friendly fire, it happens too much. These are the guidelines that must be kept at all times:
Do not open fire before positive IDing the target, even at the cost of let it survive.
Report when manning enemy vehicles and static weapons loudly and assertively to make sure everybody got it.
Report when moving into the fire arc of a friendly team. Especially when flanking the enemy or circling around an obstruction, friendly fire is likely to happen if you pop up at a position where friendliest are not expected.
Remain aware of friendly units positions and the general plan. I have a feeling most friendly fire incidents happened last night because of players didn't really pay attention to Teamspeak.

When directing a question to all units, use the negative form. Instead of asking "is everybody clear of the radar?" ask "I'm about to detonate, is there anyone still close to the radar?". The first form will just make people replying "yes" but sometimes they refer only to themselves (please avoid that people, when the leader asks a question that is addressed to the whole team, don't reply unless you know the condition of all units, and even then, don't just say "yes" or "no", phrase the reply in full, for example - "everybody is inside the chopper". This will remove any doubt)
I would like to emphasis one more thing: please do not enter vehicles without being ordered to.

Fuel Shortage: Boy what a stressful mission...
Well, looking at bright side, thanks to ck-claw, we did identify a covert spot to lay the ambush, without alerting the tanks and before facing these damn Spetznaz. Any suggestions for the approach on the base phase so we won't be slaughtered by the Russians in the woods?

Unsound Track: Never let vehicles move in the open without infantry support that flush out AT threat!!! It's even at BIS loading tips lol Smile
That tank that blew you up was screened by a tree it knocked down. I should have warned you guys, cheater AI justifies bird recon...
(09-25-2013, 02:23 PM)Variable link Wrote:Unsound Track: Never let vehicles move in the open without infantry support that flush out AT threat!!! It's even at BIS loading tips lol Smile
That tank that blew you up was screened by a tree it knocked down. I should have warned you guys, cheater AI justifies bird recon...

Hmm, sorry, but the roles were pretty much reversed here. The Bradley survived longest, it was the infantry that was killed. Mainly because the support team that should have come in wasted time on the road, as usual. I think the mission was lacking additional players, only six in the team, and technically, three would have been necessary for the Bradley alone...
The Bradley surviving that long was a result of pure luck as the enemy managed to fire three RPGs on it, and somehow missed. These RPG gunners were later killed by the Bradley and the infantry.
(09-25-2013, 02:43 PM)Variable link Wrote:The Bradley surviving that long was a result of pure luck as the enemy managed to fire three RPGs on it, and somehow missed. These RPG gunners were later killed by the Bradley and the infantry.

Still, the team was too small.. The infantry had no chance to survive on their own, especially not in that terrain
It's doable, don't you think? Especially if we wait for the AI support force.

I think we should stay concentrated on the tactical discussion, we keep getting distracted to discussions on the missions design or Arma 2's limitations...
(09-25-2013, 03:03 PM)Variable link Wrote:It's doable, don't you think? Especially if we wait for the AI support force.

It is doable, but we also had no infantry with anti-tank capabilities.. that would have helped.

At least the first part of the operation went smoothly. I think we did quite well on this part.