Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: AI skill on the server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Since the bootcamp update the AI are more aggressive and lethal. However, I'm not sure that in a bad way... What do you guys think?
(08-09-2014, 08:34 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]Since the bootcamp update the AI are more aggressive and lethal. However, I'm not sure that in a bad way... What do you guys think?

Need a few more matches I guess. Generally, I liked our AI so far.
There's been an update to AsrAIi3 in Oct 2014. The previously posted userconfig is incompatible for any one who has the new version. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24080

stopped the House of Clowns dedicated server working when I used it!  :-[  Thought I'd screwed the server up for a moment!
We have the updated ASR AI and its new config.
OK I didn't know. I tried the userconfig hpp you posted above which is for previous version, my bad. :Smile
Yeah, I guess I should post the current ones:

ASR AI config is in its defaults.

Server AI difficulty settings:

Code:
skillAI=0.60000002;
precisionAI=0.30000001;
aiLevelPreset=3;

1) TPWCAS AI suppression mod re-activated since vanilla suppression does not force AI stance changed.
2) AI precision increased from 0.1 to 0.2.

Code:
skillAI=0.60000002;
precisionAI=0.2;
aiLevelPreset=3;

AI precision (accuracy) lowered to 0.1, skill lowered to 0.55.
Code:
skillAI=0.55;
precisionAI=0.1;
aiLevelPreset=3;
[size=1em]First of all, I really enjoyed last couple of coop nights, really great games lately (for me at least).
But I've got to say, I prefered the settings before this last change. They didn't seem to be unfair at all, you do something silly, you die.
As it is now, their skill/accuracy combined with ARMA 3 armor vests + Psycho revive that lets you get up after getting shot by .50 cal, feels a bit too forgiving. Still great fun, but too many safety nets.

Maybe you could increase AI skill only, if not accuracy, because I've noticed the enemy AI often not even engaging us, especially if they're far away.

For example in that ACR G junction we played last week, I was shooting from about 300-400m away from mounted .50cal on a village with at least 25 hostiles, the group I was shooting didn't return fire at all (I don't think they even knew where i was - I was a humvee gunner on a Takistan hill, shouldn't have been hard to spot.) even though I took my time eliminating them.
Enemies that patroled in the same village close to those guys, were not alerted by my fifty, and just carried on walking around.

[/size]
[size=1em]EDIT: That's some great news![/size]
Right, the experience on ACR G junction was more of an exception, but I guess we could try to tweak it up and see how it goes, I too felt they are sometimes too soft on us.
I made some changes to all difficulty settings so we could test several settings without restarting the server and updating its profile. Just change the difficulty on the mission selection screen to apply the changes. Regular difficulty (server default) has been rolled back.

Recruit difficulty:
Code:
skillAI=0.55;
      precisionAI=0.1;
      aiLevelPreset=3;

Regular difficulty (default)
Code:
      skillAI=0.6;
      precisionAI=0.2;
      aiLevelPreset=3;

Veteran difficulty
Code:
      skillAI=0.7;
      precisionAI=0.3;
      aiLevelPreset=3;

Expert difficulty
Quote:      skillAI=0.8;
      precisionAI=0.4;
      aiLevelPreset=3;

Guys, please test and say what you think.
They've put up a nice fight last night, I've liked what I've seen so far!
I deserved to get shot in the open, so I like it.
ASR AI is updated and now replaces bCombat on the server. Note the feature list:

ASR AI Features (incomplete list)

Config features

- AI's fire mode selection, rate of fire and engagement ranges are tweaked. Makes them shoot more human-like.
- Weapon dispersion varies more with unit's skill. The lower the skill, the more increased dispersion. Makes tweaking them from the userconfig more effective.
- Reconfigures detection skills for soldiers. Base sensitivity skill has been reduced for civilians (3->2) and increased for snipers (3.5->4).
Enemy snipers should be harder to hide from while friendly snipers should be employed strategically.
Hearing has been improved for soldiers but the perceived noise made by soldier movement was reduced. Makes sneaking up still possible while soldiers will
detect other noises better overall (those made by gun shots or vehicles for example).
- Reconfigures unit costs. Units are classified by importance in 3 levels: less (civilians, insurgents, militia), normal (regulars), more (special ops, snipers, officers).
Units (especially players) may change equipment so it doesn't make sense to have an "AT guy" wear a big "shoot me first" sign just because he's in that "class".
- AI units are more able to detect bullets fired.

Scripted features

- The units skills are automatically configured based on their unit type, faction and the settings that can be changed in the userconfig. The skills are randomized but
given in between a minimum and a maximum value based on the skill level each unit is assigned in. This way you can have regular unit better then guerilla but spec ops
or snipers a lot better then all so you're able to customize but also keep the diversity. You can configure for each unit class values for their aiming, spotting and general
skills. You can also apply global coefficients per faction. The skills are applied after the start of the mission for present units or for any units that may spawn in
later.
- The view and object distance of the dedicated server is dynamically adjusted during a mission based on sun elevation and fog level. This is done because the view distance of the
AI on the server determines how fast they will lose a target they already became aware of. Less chances of getting shot through the thick of the fog or darkness by AI
you can't even see.
- AI will be alerted by explosions. They may try to get to cover. The higher state of alertness will increase the chances of detecting the enemy.
- AI units are more able to detect gun fire. Factors which contribute to how far they can hear and how precise the information gained is:
the ammo type, if the weapon is suppressed, foliage, houses.
- Groups reduced to a 2 (configurable number) units after mission start will look for near friendly groups and merge with them. AI working as a team is a lot stronger then a bunch of separate units.
- Wounded AI that is unable to walk may separate from their group and be left alone if there's no medic in the group. Helps AI groups reach their destination in a timely
manner when one of theirs has been shot in the leg or had a stupid accident (fell of a rock and broke legs, got hit by car etc.).
- AI share info about threats with other groups in their proximity if they have radios. Enhances awareness for groups that are not directly in contact with an enemy.
- AI groups coming into contact while in the open will try to move to cover. Helps them survive longer when caught in the open.
- AI machinegunners use suppressive fire. Makes them more effective and feared.
- Buildings are used in combat by AI. You may see AI shooting from windows or rooftops and it may not be as easy to hide in a house anymore.
- AI may move to cover and pop smoke when hit to help conceal while taking care of their wounds.
- AI may use near vehicle or static weapons for fighting.
- Keeps player in charge on teamSwitch to another unit; prevents leaving AI in charge to shout stupid orders that you need to cancel when you switch back to leader unit.
- Disables fatigue for AI in player's group and enables it for currently player-controlled unit (triggered on teamSwitch only); lets AI be able to keep up with the player.
- AI may rearm if low on ammo from nearby crates, vehicles, bodies or even friendlies rucks (eg ammo bearers).
What ever changes has been made to the AI since I've been gone are superb in my mind. Maybe I've gained some additional perspective from not playing for a while but last night felt pretty much spot on
In case you wondered, or wanted to recreate the great AI we have on the server in your SP games, here are the settings we use Smile . Don't forget we also use ASR AI and TPWCAS suppression mod.
We use the default difficulty ("Regular") and tweak its settings to the parameters below. The whole config file is attached to this post (renamed extension from Arma3Profile).

Code:
skillAI=0.75;
precisionAI=0.40000001;
aiLevelPreset=3;
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5