Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: daveygary's Rangers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been making missions using these units lately, two missions are basically ready and at least 4 more on the drawing board so far. The units are very high quality and the download is 140mb: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14295
tbh I don't see the added values of new american units. No matter how badass they look, they don't add much to the gameplay. What's wrong with the default special units?
(11-14-2012, 02:22 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote: [ -> ]tbh I don't see the added values of new american units. No matter how badass they look, they don't add much to the gameplay. What's wrong with the default special units?

They don't look as badass  ;D
I really like these rangers, and I don't really think that an addon more would hurt. I haven't used them myself yet because (contrary to Rhodesy's rangers) they are not marked as specops and hence cannot hide bodies.
If we can get 6 missions for them then my vote will be to include them. When do you think you'll have all 6 ready Nouty?
If they are OA compatible (backpacks, thermal textures) and available in woodland camos, then it would be a good addition. The problem with vanilla Arma units is IMHO that all the woodland units can't get backpacks...
(11-15-2012, 04:05 PM)Variable link Wrote: [ -> ]If we can get 6 missions for them then my vote will be to include them. When do you think you'll have all 6 ready Nouty?
That depends on how lazy I am at making missions Tongue. Usually it takes me a couple of days to make a mission if I have a solid idea and enough free time and energy to get cracking. Usually it takes me way longer cos my usual way of doing things is get it started - come back to it in a couple of weeks - come back again in another week or so - finish it up Tongue

I will probably post a mission pack once I get a few missions ready.
(11-15-2012, 07:32 PM)Varanon link Wrote: [ -> ]If they are OA compatible (backpacks, thermal textures) and available in woodland camos, then it would be a good addition. The problem with vanilla Arma units is IMHO that all the woodland units can't get backpacks...

Binkovsky made some really great USMC units that include Desert and Woodland MARPAT and come with backpacks. And there's Metaball's MARSOC units also in Desert and Woodland.

It's a shame that there are so many great addons that rarely ever get used, like RobertHammer's weapons for example.
Units are usually the smallest priority for me but Arma has a serious lacking in some units. To me the most significant of them is the lack of British SF and US army in woodland camo. ACE brings the Russians and USMC in desert uniforms (acex_RU and _USNAVY) but their respective SF units remain woodland only.
Biggest problem with using different units is the lack of missions for them. Even if most unit downloads are pretty small, it doesn't make much sense to download a unit pack for one mission, or even a couple.
I can understand the reluctance to download new units in a community like this, where there are not too many mission makers to provide missions for these specific units.

On the other hand, we have downloaded many islands that barely have any missions for them.

My approach to introducing new islands or units (or addons in general) is mission packs. At least then you'll have something to play with these addons you've downloaded. Will come back to this post when I get some kind of a mission pack together.
(11-16-2012, 01:53 PM)Nouty link Wrote: [ -> ]On the other hand, we have downloaded many islands that barely have any missions for them.
Except Fallujah, which will be removed from the requirements list shortly, all the other islands had at least 5 missions.

Looking forward to your pack! Smile