Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Group Link 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's one great AI enhancement to spice up singleplayer games: Group Link 4
And why not multiplayer as well, although it will surely break mission designs... but exciting moments would be quaranteed. This is much more extreme AI modification than ZeusAI. Some features:

Quote:Enemy A.I. Request Reinforcement
Enemy A.I. Request Artillery Strikes
Enemy A.I. Request Air Support
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect Gun Fire
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect Suppressed Fire
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect explosion of vehicles
Enemy A.I. Do House Searches
Enemy A.I. Unmount vehicles at the conflict point
Enemy A.I. Drop Smoke at day time
Enemy A.I. Fire Flares at night
Enemy A.I. Detect Dead Bodys
Enemy A.I. Garrison empty Buildings
Enemy A.I. mount empty Static Weapons
Enemy A.I. Rearm from dead bodies
Enemy A.I. Surrender ( Beta )
Enemy A.I. Body Remove
Enemy A.I. Recruit A.I.
Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead
Enemy A.I. Take Captive

+ it also includes random time and weather, sound and fire effects, etc. All are fully customizable through the config files (in /ArmA 2/userconfig/GL4).

Download link: Group Link 4

I'm currently playing the PMC campaign with this, and it's been thrilling so far. Especially in the first mission (CQB in ruined Zargabad) the enemies seemed to act now more like humans, they did mistakes too and miss their shots, team up with with 2-3 guys, seek cover, search houses, etc. I have also lowered the AI skill from to 0.60-0.70, but I'm not sure if GL4 will override it anyway.

Maybe with this it's possible to get enough interest continuing the Arrowhead campaign as well...  Tongue

EDIT: requires CBA
Hola,

sounds intresting. I´m a big fan of DAC (which seems to use some part of the GL4 aswell - calling help, maning empty mg´s, occupying houses etc...), as it gives the possibility to make things happen unforeseeable in an easy way - good for urban maps at least :-).

But a bit of a downside is, that you may want to lower the AI skills just to have a chance to suvive long enough...

2 Points there: First, somone said, that the AI value in game is due to a bug not corresponding. Maybe this is fixed with one of the patches?
Second, if you lower the AI skill, they might tend to just stand around like stoned waiting to be shot at. What i want them to do, is to run around and shoot and act, but i want them to have a poorer aiming skill (with decreasing their skills). Grip already mentioned that this is possible with a change of the config, but this would only work local.

If you play the fallujah mission i made with DAC you will just face this problem: It is nearly impossible to make it to the highway, because once you start engaging, the AI will drag many of the enemy groups to your location and will pin you down. So far its not too bad, but with more spread of their shootings, it would become even more thrilling and not that deadly (which may be even less realistic, but more fun ;-) ).

Any idea to fill this gap? Maybe there is even still something like JAM HD? Or some scripts to use?
(12-29-2010, 01:13 PM)Fat Tony link Wrote: [ -> ]If you play the fallujah mission i made with DAC you will just face this problem: It is nearly impossible to make it to the highway, because once you start engaging, the AI will drag many of the enemy groups to your location and will pin you down. So far its not too bad, but with more spread of their shootings, it would become even more thrilling and not that deadly (which may be even less realistic, but more fun ;-) ).

Any idea to fill this gap? Maybe there is even still something like JAM HD? Or some scripts to use?
I haven't really used DAC since the Ofp version but even then there was a zone parameter which told DAC if groups should support each others. The DAC documentation is superb so RTFM  Wink
Ah, you got me a wee bit wrong here. The support is generally ok, the point is how to make them bad shooters (spread their bullets, shake thier aim). So i can have fierce fights without beeing killed too quick ;-).

If you played King Nothings Tonal campaign, you know what i mean. There was lots of HD-AI´s after you, bullets were flying in the air, but you still had some time to shoot back until they hit you. Great show :-).

Something like that would be good in my opinion here. So you dont have to turn down the AI skills in general, only their aiming skills, you know...
I don't know how to script it, but how about this addon: RUG High Dispersion? I haven't tried that yet, because I've found that AI skill 0.70 + Group Link works pretty well for my SP games. But I too have noticed some dumbness in their behaviour..  e.g. they won't sometimes spot me or shoot when they should. For friendly AIs, I use high skill 1.00 just to balance things. My teammates are now more effective, they won't get wiped out so easily. That means less rambo work for myself. I really hate to be left alone with whole taki army chasing me. Wink

PS. Tony, I will try your Fallujah+DAC mission soon, I now finally got the mission loaded up and running after little mission.sqm edit. The island name was changed in the latest version from "fallujah" to "fallujah_v1_0".
hola, oh yeah, i have an updated version here aswell, i will post it in the thread!

got to look for your addon now ;-)
In combination with the DAC script there is a problem (at least for me):

"All of these are called in the same way: [unitname] spawn <script>"

But with DAC i have no single unitname i can write in before the mission starts. So the only way it may work properly is to make an array which checks all the units in a area. What would be the right command here? is it "foreach"? Or "allunits"? I found those in the biki...
(12-29-2010, 09:57 PM)Fat Tony link Wrote: [ -> ]But with DAC i have no single unitname i can write in before the mission starts. So the only way it may work properly is to make an array which checks all the units in a area. What would be the right command here? is it "foreach"? Or "allunits"? I found those in the biki...
Again, as I recall from DAC 1.0 you can store units created by DAC per zone in custom variables. You can then loop through the stored units and start custom scripts. You have to read the manual to find out how exactly it works with DAC for Arma2, I don't think Silola discontinued this feature - it should still be in there.

As for your initial question: AI units used aim worse when you set their skill to -1
I don't know if this still works but you could try by setting the DAC units' skill parameter to -1 or altering the skill of the created units as outlinded in above paragraph.
Just found the setSkill array command in the Biki which has a parameter aimingAccuracy. I've never used it but maybe it will help you Tony.
The setskills is the way i was thinking about, and i have sent over a few of them to you @Tony.
They work great if you want to make a mission wite vanilla content, have experimented wite them in the jungels of Lowland(UNSUNG Mod) and if correctly used you will have gunfights were you spreay the jungel trees and bushes becuse you dont see the enemy, and the enemy sprays them becuse he cant hit you, even if he knows were you are(3m in front of him :o).
You will have bullets passing bay your head and a fighting chance to fight in forrest and jungel envirment.
And to avoid underestimating the Ai mix the numbers up a bit and having a few different values so you get punished fore stupidity.

But you need to watch out so you dont over do it,
300m sprint over a airfield in to a enemy squad wite all velues sett on 0.1 is no fun.
Hola,

thx guys, thats some stuff to try. I didnt remeber about the DAC Store Units, i will have a read ;-).

If this is working, it will be some great fun!

Cheers

Tony
Not if it is working - when it is working!  Wink
(12-28-2010, 11:22 AM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]Here's one great AI enhancement to spice up singleplayer games: Group Link 4
And why not multiplayer as well, although it will surely break mission designs... but exciting moments would be quaranteed. This is much more extreme AI modification than ZeusAI. Some features:

Quote:Enemy A.I. Request Reinforcement
Enemy A.I. Request Artillery Strikes
Enemy A.I. Request Air Support
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect Gun Fire
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect Suppressed Fire
Enemy A.I. React to / Detect explosion of vehicles
Enemy A.I. Do House Searches
Enemy A.I. Unmount vehicles at the conflict point
Enemy A.I. Drop Smoke at day time
Enemy A.I. Fire Flares at night
Enemy A.I. Detect Dead Bodys
Enemy A.I. Garrison empty Buildings
Enemy A.I. mount empty Static Weapons
Enemy A.I. Rearm from dead bodies
Enemy A.I. Surrender ( Beta )
Enemy A.I. Body Remove
Enemy A.I. Recruit A.I.
Enemy A.I. Simulate Dead
Enemy A.I. Take Captive

+ it also includes random time and weather, sound and fire effects, etc. All are fully customizable through the config files (in /ArmA 2/userconfig/GL4).

Download link: Group Link 4

I'm currently playing the PMC campaign with this, and it's been thrilling so far. Especially in the first mission (CQB in ruined Zargabad) the enemies seemed to act now more like humans, they did mistakes too and miss their shots, team up with with 2-3 guys, seek cover, search houses, etc. I have also lowered the AI skill from to 0.60-0.70, but I'm not sure if GL4 will override it anyway.

Maybe with this it's possible to get enough interest continuing the Arrowhead campaign as well...  Tongue

EDIT: requires CBA

Sorry to necro this, but I've been playing with the userconfig for this, and it seems to me that this mod, with the right editing is one of the best AI mods around, makung the AI take cover, allowing suppression to actually work as it should, having them call in reinforcements and retreat when things are going badly. Its also pretty stable in my experience. It also allows you to change the AIs aiming precision, meaning that you get longer firefights if you turn it down.