Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: ACE2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is ACE2 anything that could become active on cia?(when relased)
Had a lock on some video features earlyer tonight, and it still says iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii in my ears from Abrahams maine gun ;D
What is ACE mod? What is the benefit of it? If it's only effects enhancement I doubt it will be implemented on CiA server. We would like mods that actually enhance the game, like in making the gameplay more realistic
Yeah, I think supposed is the keyword here. I never really played it with Arma because it didn't feel as good as WGL but this could be because Arma itsself always feels a big weird  Wink
For me Ofp + WGL has better gameplay than Arma + ACE, maybe it will be better with Arma2 + ACE2 but who knows...
Ah, I see. Seems like it's still under development.
Quote:by Sickboy
A.C.E Release Candidate, Update #1 Released! (rSync mirror network in sync and awaiting your requests!)
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.ph...ost1555693

Note Beta any more  Wink
So guys, I think it's time for you to move to ACE2 after all. Why aren't you using it still?

It's made by the same people that made WGL and is to ArmA2 what WGL was to OFP.

If this reason is not enough for you, here are 92 more reasons to go for it:

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Features

And it also upgrades AA2 content to OA standards quite a bit. Zeus AI has also a fresh compatible version to use with it.
I give you 93 other reson for not going ACE2 MCraze: wrong version or outdated addon... x 93.
I used to play ACE2 on the LOL server (think they have left it now) but if you wasn't updating your game every day you could risk spending 3 hours downloading updated addons before you was able to play. Put a effective stop for impulsive gaming, don't it? Beside that; the ACE guys was never able (and stil not able I guess) to syncronize server and client-side addon versions which ment if you had an updated pack you wasn't able to play anywhere because the server keys wasn't released yet.

BTW, nice to see you back MCraze Smile

Nephris

Non Ace ist one of the reasons why i like to play at CIA.
We alreaddy had a discussion in TS last week with around 5 players.
The unique consens was, ACE feels buggy, not considereing if it is or not.

Next to what OL stated, is ACE not adding for me an advanced combat envirenment.
Thos guys are surely creating a great mod with a lot of intuitive ideas,nevertheless i dont like it.
ACE running on a server is a reason for me not to join it.

Zeus was just great before OA release.
Inever started ArmA2 without it.
Since that they did too much imho.
A lot of misisons break by using Zeus.

Though i must admit, i havent tteted the past versions.
As Zeus was really an improvement in those times, maybe we could create a "Zeus Testing Group", to chekc if it could be ran again on a server without breaking misson targets.

My 2 pennies.....

Zandhaas

Given that ACE2 tends to in a permanent alpha state I am not in favour of using it. It breaks more than it adds in my opinion. By using default Arma II/Arrowhead one gets a far more stable game with considerably less issues. It would avoid having to redo missions whenever class names or inheritance structures in the configs change between versions and it allows players to join games quickly as there is no requirement to synchronise all versions.

Zeus AI features are great in combat, but a side effect is that AI groups become extremely slow to move (think of how the AI in a player led squad behaves in combat, but that behaviour spread to all AI on the map). Whereas AI can move quite efficiently over large distances when given waypoints that are far apart in default Arma II, when Zeus AI is enabled they can easily take more than double the time. This can break missions when enemies or friendlies fail to appear in time. Without this undesirable side effect it would be good to use it.

The only type of addon that would in my opinion be nice to add would be custom terrain, but preferably only 'island' addons that limit themselves to dependencies on the default content, not other addons. With the enormous size of the default terrain there is more than enough space to create missions though, and I do not regard custom terrain as a requirement.

Regards,

Sander
(01-20-2011, 05:18 PM)Overlord link Wrote: [ -> ]I give you 93 other reson for not going ACE2 MCraze: wrong version or outdated addon... x 93.
I used to play ACE2 on the LOL server (think they have left it now) but if you wasn't updating your game every day you could risk spending 3 hours downloading updated addons before you was able to play. Put a effective stop for impulsive gaming, don't it? Beside that; the ACE guys was never able (and stil not able I guess) to syncronize server and client-side addon versions which ment if you had an updated pack you wasn't able to play anywhere because the server keys wasn't released yet.
Right now ACE2 is updated only once a week - every Friday at 18 GMT (unless there was some major bug that needed to be fixed ASAP which rarely ever happens) so staying up to date isn't hard. And to update you now have Six-Updater in a form of software where you just do two clicks and it downloads and installs everything for you.

We in GOL have coops every Sunday with 20-30 people playing and we have only 1 guy at most having outdated ACE2 which is like a tear in the sea.

Having a strict addon update rules is well worth it - when you look at all the awesome realism you can have with ACE2. Including our beloved medical system from WGL which was quite improved Wink

As for the bugs. It was very buggy during a month or two after OA's release - yes, we had to play without it at that time. But right now we don't see any bugs, not in the infantry missions at least which we play 95% of the time.

Quote:BTW, nice to see you back MCraze Smile
Thanks. I can't play on Sundays with you though because you play exactly at the same time my clan does, but I try to come on weekdays now.

Nephris

Quote:The only type of addon that would in my opinion be nice to add would be custom terrain, but preferably only 'island' addons that limit themselves to dependencies on the default content, not other addons. With the enormous size of the default terrain there is more than enough space to create missions though, and I do not regard custom terrain as a requirement.

You need again sth to walk across do ya? ;D
Well i am in general no addon fan at all...maybe a soundmod.
The only real alternative in my eyes is areplacement mod.
As FDF or LibMod was in OFP.
I could also imagine to play a few weeks Inv44....after the next patch...coz atm CO/OA vanilla is imho still the non plus ultra at all.
If ACE would make us miraculously more cohesive and improve our teamwork I would recommend it, but I'm afraid it doesn't help on that. Wink It doesn't even include any significant enemy AI changes, that would force us to do so. Instead we would just end up spending time on non-sense, fiddling with our equipment, etc. I don't think ACE would improve CiA games in any way. And realism level is well enough with just plain A2/OA.

Having a non-ACE is just so simple and easy for both, players and people administrating the server.
(01-21-2011, 04:18 PM)Osku link Wrote: [ -> ]If ACE would make us miraculously more cohesive and improve our teamwork I would recommend it, but I'm afraid it doesn't help on that. Wink

Well, I played on couple on servers and CIA style is most cohesive of them all. But what we can do to improve it further?

Also, I agree with most reasons against ACE 2 mentioned here. But ACE is in development, it might be nice to check it sometime after frantic cycle of updating is over.

I'd like to play on different new maps, my vote goes to Isla Duala and maybe Namalsk island.
ACE - one is more ralistic mods for ARMA 2