Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Nicknames Origins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply here why did you choose your nickname!

I chose mine out of the book "Clear and Present Danger" (ther's also a motion picture). Variable is the callsign of "Mr. Clark"- a CIA contractor who operates a team of Black-Ops in Columbia in a fight against druglord.
When the U.S administration cuts off their support, he goes in an attemp to rescue what is left of them. Great book by Tom Clancy.

I liked that character so I chose it as a nickname, what's your story?
Post is short for Postduifje, which means homing pigeon (literally: mail pigeon) in dutch. It derives from a comic sketch by a duo named 'Rembo & Rembo', a program for children which gets even better when you're getting older. I won't explain it further because the text on its own isn't funny to start with, let alone the translation. It's just the way they do it which makes it so funny, and you Europeans probably wouldn't get it anyway.
hmm.... long time ago I searched a new nick for the net. On some sites I was not able to use my other nick. Either it was choosen or blocked. So I thought a long time about the nick and some time I read an article about THC in the net. Don't know why, but used the C (Canabinnol), turned it arround (lonnibanaC), deleted the "nni" and used "k" instead of "c". And there was Lobanak. :-)
Well,
Tony Marony is the name of the greatest bavarian hero ever! But unfotunately nobody knows him nowadays.
He was the founder of saltsticks, defender against Austrians, he could climb up the highest mountains and his jodeling could still be heared in Munich! His lederhosen was so big, that they needed the leather of 2 cows and his haferlschua (bavarian boots) were as big as boats!
You see, all in all he was a really nice guy, and i thought his Name should never be forgotten! So I carry it with proud and in memory of big Tony Marony, hero of the bavarians!
Hail to Tony!
Back in 2002 I started to work in Internet caffe, I saw Internet for the first time (shhhhh...don't laugh..cough...cough) back then, near my working desk was info board for all company staff with tens of stickey papers were on each, with different color, of them stated:

Worker must do this...Worker must do that...Worker after his shift must lock...Worker during his shift must not...Worker is alowed to leave his room...Worker has break for lunch...Worker must be polite with customers...bla bla bla...

Worker on Serbian is Radnik, so i decided, cose of brain washing, to be Worker after all Big Grin

And since i like caracter Bob The Builder, not the cartoon it self, I took avatar to use on each forum and everywere where I use nick Radnik...to connect with my nick!

URA! Smile
Self-explanatory.

I came up with the pseudonym "Robert Kurtz Dmitriyev" when I was about 14 or 15. I always thought that "Robert" is a good simple name with a strong ring to it. "Kurtz" is after the character from Apocalypse Now (see my new signature!). At that age I had a strange obsession with that movie. And I have no idea where I got "Dmitriyev." I don't believe I have an ounce of Ukrainian or Russian blood in me, so don't ask me for phrases. Big Grin

At some point I decided to abbreviate the "Robert" just cause it sounded cool. For a while I was even registered to MySpace solely under "R. Kurtz Dmitriyev" and had a bunch of friends added. That phase is over, but I never bothered to change my OFP name. Tongue
Zulu1 was the call sign used in a mission from CWC campaign. Zulu also appears in other missions and at least 1 island I've seen. A few times I have been confused with Hit_Sqd_Zulu, but he came before me.
no idea where my callsign came from, about 4 years ago a mixture of alcohol and late night OFP i joined a coop clan and just invented the nickname Killerbob it was the first thing that came into my head
Since my childhood, that's my nickname - Misha. Well, I thought that some other nickname could suit me better now, but I couldn't decide between Smallbot or Mali Robot or whatever, and that's it for now.
Quote:Since my childhood, that's my nickname - Misha. Well, I thought that some other nickname could suit me better now, but I couldn't decide between Smallbot or Mali Robot or whatever, and that's it for now.

Cool.

So who is that in your forum avatar?

It's Woody Guthrie. I know he's little out of place here, but he has this cool "this machine kills fascists" slogan written on his guitar. Interesting analogy between guitar and rifle, and yet pacifistic in its essence.
(11-12-2009, 04:04 PM)Misha link Wrote:It's Woody Guthrie. I know he's little out of place here, but he has this cool "this machine kills fascists" slogan written on his guitar. Interesting analogy between guitar and rifle, and yet pacifistic in its essence.

That's who I thought it was!

Quote:Variable is the callsign of mr. Clark from the book "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy

I think I read that one...but I was maybe 11 and I can't remember anything from it. Tongue
mine is ""cia_kid but i use "kid" to stop confusion with the server.
Well i've always been fasinated with the CIA and i started gaming on BattleField 1942 & 2 when i was 12, on the Voip and TS and Ventrilo i would be the youngest and so kid kinda stuck.
I'm only 16 now, so i still think i'm a kid.
Thats how i got the name cia_kid, 4 years have gone quick.
Happened to find these two interesting threads (merged together now). Cool to know your names' origins, although Tony's story sounds weird. How about "Fat Tony" - does it come from The Simpsons TV series?

My player name is a nickname/variation of my real first name. In finnish "Osku" is also common name for pet dogs, because in here it's Odie the dog in Garfield comics.

Add up here, all who's not here yet! Especially Overlord will be interesting.. Smile
Mine is quite simple: In the days of windows 3.1, 98 and 2000 The message "rundll.exe" has crashed and needs to close or even BSOD with rundll.exe came up every day.
Then one day I was on a OFP game I saw someone with "win.com" as nickname, and got inspired to take rundll.exe (I went by the name "frituurpan"  (frying pan) prior to that)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7